Thread: Graphs and Functions

Hybrid View

Beans

Graphs and Functions

Hello. I'm looking for some kind of software that creates graphs based on several measured values and the calculates the function for those values.

I've been trying to look around a lot on the web for such a program and out of those I've found one or more probably serves my end quite well, I just have some trouble figuring out how they function.
    I'm planning on using it for my physics class, but considering I'm studying everything in Swedish I have some difficulties knowing exactly what functions serves my purpose as I don't know all the english words.
    On top of that I currently lack the time needed to sift through the manuals for corresponding programs, which I otherwise would've done.

For the current project I simply need a program where I can enter the measured values and get a nice graph and the linear function it will be based upon.
    Each of the values are not precise and therefore the software will have to be able to calculate based on that.

Any help for this would be great, as I have no real idea what program to use.

Thanks,
    vonCruxz

Beans

Re: Graphs and Functions

One software system at which to look would be GNU Octave, whose URL is:

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/

Octave's command structure is modeled closely after that of MATLAB, a commercial program (of which a Linux version exists). A brief Google search turned up the following book on MATLAB in Swedish: MATLAB berkningar inom teknik och naturvetenskap, 2e

Another software system at which to look would be R, whose URL is:

http://www.r-project.org/

Good luck!

Beans

Thanks mate, I'll look into it. For this specific project we solved it without the graphs in the end, but I know I'll be needing it in the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

as a suggestion you could try graphviewer which runs with java this thread is solved anyway you could try