Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DDR2 ram prices

Beans

DDR2 ram prices

There is a big difference in ram prices between DDR2 and DDR3. For example Crucial charge £28.78 for 4GBx2 DDR3 and £118.78 4GBx2 DDR2. My laptop uses DDR2 and one day I will have to upgrade it. Being old technology have they stopped manufacturing it? And most importantly will the price go up or down in future years?

Beans

Re: DDR2 ram prices

I doubt DDR2 is still being manufactured, so the price will continue to increase over time until new modules become prohibitively expensive or unavailable. You'll be able to buy used at a reasonable price for many years to come.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber72 View Post
    My laptop uses DDR2 and one day I will have to upgrade it. Being old technology have they stopped manufacturing it? And most importantly will the price go up or down in future years?
    As manufacturing ceases and stocks dwindle the price goes up. Law of supply & demand.

Just buy some run of the mill kingston, transcend etc ram. Shop for value.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

at that price it might make sense to wait and change to a SSD as they are getting cheaper by the month and speed things up that way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGil View Post
    I doubt DDR2 is still being manufactured, so the price will continue to increase over time until new modules become prohibitively expensive or unavailable. You'll be able to buy used at a reasonable price for many years to come.
    I bought some used PC-133 and it seems fine. I made sure to buy from a vendor with return privileges and as soon as I got it I fired up memtest and let it run for a few hours. Flash memory has a life span, I don't know that DRAM does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by fat yak View Post
    at that price it might make sense to wait and change to a SSD as they are getting cheaper by the month and speed things up that way.
    ???

Er, he's talking about RAM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    ???

Er, he's talking about RAM.
    I think what fat yak is saying is that, if the original poster is looking to speed up his/her computer, the £118.78 might be better spent by purchasing an SSD rather than a RAM upgrade.

I don't necessarily agree with that. It depends on how the OP uses his/her machine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just don't get kingston valueram - They take ram chips from different suppliers, and sometimes one or two of the chips on the board run at a slightly lower/higher speed than the others. That can cause a few weird problems that would be hard to diagnose.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGil View Post
    I think what fat yak is saying is that, if the original poster is looking to speed up his/her computer, the £118.78 might be better spent by purchasing an SSD rather than a RAM upgrade.

I don't necessarily agree with that. It depends on how the OP uses his/her machine.
    Me neither. Not all DDR2 machines can take DDR3 either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast