Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DDR2 ram prices

Beans

Re: DDR2 ram prices

Thanks for the advice everyone - I still can't make up my mind. 4GB DDR2 sticks that fit my laptop look to be pretty scarce already in the UK , eBay prices are higher than buying direct from Crucial and I couldn't find any other reliable brands. I have no use for 8 gigs at the moment but it looks like I will have to buy a new machine in about 4 years if I don't upgrade now. On the bright side if the cpu burns out or something I should be able to resell them.

I thought assigning a flash stick for virtual ram might be a sensible solution but I asked in vain on General help for advice on how to do this with ubuntu 12.04.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber72 View Post
    I thought assigning a flash stick for virtual ram might be a sensible solution but I asked in vain on General help for advice on how to do this with ubuntu 12.04.
    That's bot really a substitute for ram, really slow. Flash also has limited cycles but hey it's cheap.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes I did get that you were talking about RAM, but take a look at this:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/sto...-vs-8gb_7.html

the conclusion from a test re more RAM or an SSD. The short answer would be, depends on what you use the computer for... but it was a serious suggestion and is worth bearing in mind.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber72 View Post
    Easily done. Just tell the system it's swap space. Not really much point though, as passing anything over the USB bus will be really slow.

Beans

The average access time of my hard disk is 23.5ms which is pretty slow. How would this compare to the usb bus. I think that once 2Gb of ram is not enough and I start using a significant amount of share I am really going to notice the slowdown. How do I tell the system to use a flash stick as swap space?

What if I put in an express card usb adapter and plug the flash sick into that. How much faster than the hard disc would that be and how much slower than ram?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Easily done. Just tell the system it's swap space. Not really much point though, as passing anything over the USB bus will be really slow.
    Maybe try the Nilfs2 file system, apparently it provides big improvements on SSDs, not sure about usb stuff. Just disable the snapshot feature if it's only going to be use for swap space.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12