Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with downloading Java?

Beans

Cool Help with downloading Java?

Hello. I am trying to download java, because for some reason it does not seem to come with Ubuntu. I tried to follow the directions at the website, but I did not understand most of the directions. I tried a YouTube tutorial, with rootilus used to place the file in the usr/lib/jvm/ file, but in addition to not working, it also seems to have removed the jvm file. I have no idea what to do, because I can't just make a new folder called jvm because Ubuntu does not allow it, it is just grayed out. I don't have a clue what to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Help with downloading Java?

Assuming what you want is the runtime so you can run java programs, open the application menu (the main menu) and select Ubuntu Software Center. When that finishes loading type java in the search bar at the top right of the window. Then click on the OpenJDK 7 runtime entry and finally click on the install button that will appear. When asked, enter your password.

Beans

I already have the Java 6 one, but I don't know how to upgrade to 7, because when I downloaded the Java 7 on the software center, nothing happened. Terminal still says that it is the sixth version.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Then what I think you will need to do is remove the 6 version through whatever means you installed it. Then see http://openjdk.java.net/install/ for instructions on installing 7.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Not all Java is the same. Bear with me, because you need to understand a little history here.

Java was originally created by Sun Microsystems and, after some years, was licensed under the GPL (General Public License). Once it was released under the GPL it became open source and the Linux community adopted it happily. However, in 2010, Sun was sold to Oracle. We don't need (or want) to get into the ongoing controversy here, but that event triggered a fork in the development of Java. Ubuntu ships with the version of Java called OpenJDK which is developed and supported by the Open Source community and is licensed under the GPL. However, the "original" Java became Oracle's property when they bought Sun.

Therefore, before installing Java. you must choose whether you wish to install the Open Source variant (available through the Software Center) or Oracle's variant. If you want to install Oracle's variant, you must follow the instructions in this guide under the subtitle (Oracle Java 7):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I would recommend getting java from Synaptic Package manager or Software Center. It should install the proper package for your system. Just type java in search bar.

Restricted packages used to have it, but it doesn't seem to be included any longer.
    Last edited by critin; October 9th, 2012 at 06:54 AM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

-o)
    /\\
    _\_V
    Message void if penguin is violated...Don't mess with the penguin.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    I would recommend getting java from Synaptic Package manager or Software Center. It should install the proper package for your system. Just type java in search bar.
    Like I said, it did not work because java 7 didn't do anything, and when I tried to remove java 6, somehow it downloaded itself again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Both Synaptic and Software Center will not get you any version later than V6. This is due to the fact that the repository for every version of Ubuntu tends to be frozen with the apps and modules that have been proven to work with that version of Ubuntu. This is a conservative approach that deprives users of new features, but greatly decreases incompatibilities and support issues. I like this approach, but that is another matter entirely.

If you wish to install the latest version of Java, you must follow the instructions in the link that I have already given you in my prior post. Deleting and reinstalling from Software Center or Synaptic will not get you where you want to go.
    Last edited by DuckHook; October 10th, 2012 at 07:17 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by spcwingo View Post
    With the greatest of respect, this is not recommended, esp for new users (the sort who tend to ask for advice on this forum). Version 8 is a development release and will only cause trouble (requiring further support) when something wonky happens to their system. I also shy away from recommending the addition of PPAs for new users. Again, unless one knows how to chase down signing keys, repair broken PPAs, delete obsolete PPAs, etc. one is just asking for trouble in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast