Thread: mini remix customization

Beans

mini remix customization

i like ubuntu. i really do. both the look and the fee software. though i prefer xubuntu's interface there are things i like about regular ubuntu as well. if i had it my way id have it use a gnome 3 desktop. that being said, even though i have USED a few versions of Linux, I know very little about them beyond how to point and click on software. anyway... iv'e tried suse studio and i am thoroughly disappointed because i cant get it to install, and from a live cd i have trouble testing the validity of my projects (validity as in how good they work). anyway i eventually went looking fo a mini version of ubuntu that i could use from a usb stick while working on other computers so i i could have my own setup wherever i go (comparable to the portable firefox im using right now, along with the portable gimp, ms paint, qBittorrent and VLC that i currently have on my usb). in other words i want my whole desktop on my 8G usb mass storage device. id like to customize ubuntu mini remix with my own choice of software pre-installed, but i want to do it using a windows exe because i dont understand how to use deb packages, and the synaptic package manage is completely beyond my comprehension. i treid to ead up on how to use it but its like the instructions are in another language; probably because im only familiar with windows. even though ive used linux a little i dont really know how to get the best of it. so any advice like easy ways to install deb packages (like if theres a quick easy way to do it with the terminal) or any way to to customize ubuntu mini remix through windows (even if its some online utility) would be much appreciated.

P.S. not sure if I qualify as an absolute beginner since ive used suse studio and a wide range of different distros, but ive only been using linux for a few months and when it comes to installing anything without the software center im completely stupid. i think it might be easiest if i could somehow install the package with one easy line of script that i can just copy and past with which i dont actually have to know what im doing to use. (if that's even possible)

EDIT: i am aware that windows software will not work ON linux. I wish to edit ubuntu mini remix in windows seven, then run the edited ubuntu mini as a live usb. i know this may not be possible, but perhaps there is an easy way around using the synaptic package manager or perhaps someone could explain in very simple terms how to use synaptic package manager and what it is (for a complete beginner)
    Last edited by Satoyaki; October 11th, 2012 at 03:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: mini remix customization

Unfortunately, with what you want to accomplish, there is no other choice, but to delve rather deep into the hill of knowlege. The age of magic is long gone, so learning your way around Synaptic would be a good first step. Then you should proceed to APT, and installing packages via CLI. You'll probably find out before long that Windows executabled do not work on Linux, and having wine on a minimal install would make no sense.

PS: Use proper capitalization, your readers will thank you for that.

Beans
    Hidden!

Like mike said, it takes knowledge of the packages offered and how to use them. Synaptic Package Manager is a good place to start getting familiar with packages and their dependencies. The mini.iso is what you use to build your custom distro.

But wait, there's more

A portable desktop on 8gig could be accomplished with something like Puppy Linux. Its capable of using ubuntu software and already prebuilt and very small. Could be a better place for you to start such a project.

Edit: And using paragraphs would be an excellent idea too.
    Last edited by jerrrys; October 11th, 2012 at 03:13 AM.

Beans

i'd like to take this time to say thanks to the mods for deleting my other posts. you have enlightened me that perhaps i am on the wrong forum seeing as humor and personality ar frowned upon. thanks again for censoring my personality, and sorry for having thoughts, creativity, and individuality. -_^