Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Netflix Doesn't Support Linux? Something Better Out There?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Netflix Doesn't Support Linux? Something Better Out There?

Quote Originally Posted by gfd_2 View Post
    Hulu Plus - a lot of their stuff can only be streamed to a TV device, not to a PC or Droid. They also have a lot of shows that have expired, seems they sign contracts that lets them play shows for a couple of months to a year.
    Amazon - compared to the other streaming companies they have a limited selection of movies that come free when you sign up for Prime.
    Crackle - They've got some great movies and TV shows, but their content also expires.
    Netflix - has the best selection of the bunch, shame they won't take advantage of Moonlight. If I can stream to my Droid, why not my laptop?
    "Moonlight. If I can stream to my Droid, why not my laptop"

Exactly, I did not even know it came surprise to me when i tried using ubuntu for streaming, i thought there was a plug in or something.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Hulu.

Hulu's depth of collection dwarfs Netflix.
    Plus Netflix is going to have to pay the piper when their licensing deals come up.

True movie-wise Netflix has more(maybe), but Hulu has a larger collection to stream, including current up to date(as in what aired last night) shows and ,with hulu plus, the complete run of a large swath of shows.
    If you want to see foreign language film, French, German, Russian, etc, or pre age of idiocracy (1975) film I don't think Hulu does it. Much of the interesting pre 1980 TV documentary and kinescope and live filmed TV has already been lost or destroyed. The real tragedy is that every time a new media protocol, device, or channel supplants the previous, we loose a chunk of film history (cultural snapshots). This has happened repeatedly. Titles are just dropped. Netflix people obviously prefer to concentrate on streaming rather than tend to the costs and complexities of renting physical DVDs. Their devotion to maintaining cultural continuity and film history is tissue thin. When it becomes optimal to quit DVD distribution and only a tiny minority ask for older and obscure non-streaming titles, they may commit a cultural atrocity. The catalog of 60K DVD titles may suddenly shrink and what may remain will be the post 1990 pop culture. Many pre-DVD VHS titles have already disappeared. I suppose a few elite institutions, millionaire collectors and museums might keep a complete catalog of VHS / DVD and film restorations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Netflix uses Microsoft's Silverlight for streaming to computers, because it provides good DRM; that isn't their choice, but at the insistence of the big media companies that provide their content. Without using that DRM, they wouldn't have access to anything worth a damn for streaming.

That DRM isn't implemented in Moonlight, unfortunately; and it's closed-source, so unless you can convince Microsoft to give us a hand...

They don't use Silverlight for streaming to the PS3, Android, or Chromebooks: but all of those implement DRM through other, hardware-based means.

Beans
    Distro

Microsoft will not help linux, at least i don't think so, they seem to be going down hill anyhow. As much as everyone saying apple this and apple that will probably expand apple more on their, apple's operating systems because of their products and people are nowadays pay higher price so that i don't have to call some clown who can not even relate to me to fix my pc (i am talking about when you buy a pc at least for majority people and they call customer service, forget it if you have windows) and software etc. Then what does microsoft got? I don't have anything against them, well except maybe if the let me watch netflix on my ubuntu. Come on already right?

Beans
    Hidden!

An option that work perfectly for me is using Hulu but under XBMC.

As a result I have more content available beside Hulu and also the image quality is just outstanding. That´s what we use with my family HTPC.

We also have a paid subscription with Netflix that it can be use through a VM or the Xbox in the living room, but the kids are the one´s who use it in their rooms, since we are more than happy with the set up describe.

Regards
    Last edited by Lemuriano; October 12th, 2012 at 04:53 AM.
    Cogito Ergo Sum

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nudnikian View Post
    If you want to see foreign language film, French, German, Russian, etc, or pre age of idiocracy (1975) film I don't think Hulu does it. Much of the interesting pre 1980 TV documentary and kinescope and live filmed TV has already been lost or destroyed. The real tragedy is that every time a new media protocol, device, or channel supplants the previous, we loose a chunk of film history (cultural snapshots). This has happened repeatedly. Titles are just dropped. Netflix people obviously prefer to concentrate on streaming rather than tend to the costs and complexities of renting physical DVDs. Their devotion to maintaining cultural continuity and film history is tissue thin. When it becomes optimal to quit DVD distribution and only a tiny minority ask for older and obscure non-streaming titles, they may commit a cultural atrocity. The catalog of 60K DVD titles may suddenly shrink and what may remain will be the post 1990 pop culture. Many pre-DVD VHS titles have already disappeared. I suppose a few elite institutions, millionaire collectors and museums might keep a complete catalog of VHS / DVD and film restorations.
    This reminds me...

I need to copy that DVD of "Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens" copied on to my SSD. Too bad about Max Schreck, you know. Died in 1936, well before all these changes in technology lost the 1922 film to history.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

XBMC? I will find out more, never heard of it.

Beans

Looks like there are two wine attachments which will allow streaming finally.

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31993#c5

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123