Thread: wireless not working 12.04 on MBP 1,2

Hybrid View

Beans

wireless not working 12.04 on MBP 1,2

I've been using this older MBP 1,2 as a triple boot machine - OS 10.6.8, Meercat & XP in that boot order for several years now. Meercat always worked fine but not long ago I upgraded to 11.04 but was disappointed with long boot times. Everything did work tho so I then upgraded to 11.10 hoping for a better experience. No joy! Then I upgraded to 12.04 after reading all the positive reviews. Well I didn't get to explore it very much as it was quickly obvious that my wireless connection within Ubuntu would connect after entering my WPA key and then seconds later disconnect and ask me again to enter my WPA. I've searched the forums but it seems no one is using a MBP as old as mine. There are posts that refer to an area that lists compatible versions to various machines but I'll be damned if I can find it!

Bottom line - can this connection problem be fixed with 12.04 on my machine or should I go back to an older version like Meercat which worked great and was faster than the newer versions I tried. If it is the latter, how would I go about doing that? I already tried booting from the same disk I originally used to install Meercat but for some reason it just hangs at the first screen that gives all the options for as long as I'm willing to wait, which was almost an hour. Please help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: wireless not working 12.04 on MBP 1,2

Could you open a terminal and paste this in:

Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    Post the result here, please.

Things can get a bit messy with direct upgrades, especially after a few, but if it was working previously I do like your chances.

Beans

Sorry it took so long. Been a long day.
    Ran the script but fumbled a lot figuring out how to save the output to a flash drive so I could paste it in here, but I did eventually figure it out.

dewey@dewey-MacBookPro:~$ sudo lshw -C network
    [sudo] password for dewey:
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 22
    serial: 00:16:cb:98:3f:b0
    capacity: 1Gbit/s
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=sky2 driverversion=1.30 firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
    resources: irq:44 memory:98200000-98203fff ioport:2000(size=256) memory:98800000-9881ffff
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    product: AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
    logical name: wlan0
    version: 01
    serial: 00:17:f2:43:43:fc
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath5k driverversion=3.2.0-31-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg
    resources: irq:17 memory:98100000-9810ffff
    dewey@dewey-MacBookPro:~$

I may be way off but it appears that it sees my wireless card as a PCI card, which of course is not the case - I think. Anyway, I'm curious to know what you see here.

Thanks in advance - Dewey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi deweyo,

The reason it is listed as a PCI device is because it is using a PCI bus (even though it is not a 'PCI card') which is normal.

While bucky ball returns, please try this:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -rfv ath5k
    sudo modprobe -v ath5k nohwcrypt=1
    then retry connecting. If that works we'll make this change permanent. If not, then please download and run 'wireless_script' (courtesy wild man, dave and others who contributed) as follows :
    Code:
    wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
    and post back the contents of the "netinfo.txt" file it creates in your home directory. It will give us a detailed info about your wireless settings.

PS:
    Please post your output codes within [ code] .. and .. [ /code] tags to put them in a nice box as above. It also preserves the output formatting. To do so, just click on # at the edit box to auto-generate the tags, then copy-paste the output in-between the tags.
    Last edited by varunendra; October 9th, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Varun - I ran those 2 scripts but the problem remains.

[dewey@dewey-MacBookPro:~$ sudo modprobe -rfv ath5k
    [sudo] password for dewey:
    rmmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-31-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath5k/ath5k.ko
    rmmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-31-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath.ko
    rmmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-31-generic/kernel/net/mac80211/mac80211.ko
    rmmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-31-generic/kernel/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko
    dewey@dewey-MacBookPro:~$ sudo modprobe -v ath5k nohwcrypt=1
    insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-31-generic/kernel/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-31-generic/kernel/net/mac80211/mac80211.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-31-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/3.2.0-31-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath5k/ath5k.ko nohwcrypt=1
    dewey@dewey-MacBookPro:~$
    ]

Not sure this is the format you were looking for - best I could do.

I assume the third script was meant to be written and sent in Ubuntu. Without a connection tho, I don't how it's possible. (I did try it anyway). I may have to drive an hour one way to pick up an ethernet cable and try connecting that way.

Dewey

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

An ethernet cable is definitely going to help ...

Who knows, an update/upgrade (packages, not OS) might fix ...