Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Grub bootloader. Help!

Beans

No Grub bootloader. Help!

I installed Mint 13 Cinnamon today. I already have Windows XP installed. Now the problem is that the grub bootloader does not appear. Instead when I start the PC I see "Frequency out of range - 90 K / 59 HZ" on the monitor and after a while Mint loads. I posted this problem on the Mint forums too but no solution yet. Since Mint is basically Ubuntu and Ubuntu has a very vibrant and cooperative community I am posting my problem here in the hope that some one would help me. So kindly help me.

Beans

Re: No Grub bootloader. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by intelamd View Post
    I installed Mint 13 Cinnamon today. I already have Windows XP installed. Now the problem is that the grub bootloader does not appear. Instead when I start the PC I see "Frequency out of range - 90 K / 59 HZ" on the monitor and after a while Mint loads. I posted this problem on the Mint forums too but no solution yet. Since Mint is basically Ubuntu and Ubuntu has a very vibrant and cooperative community I am posting my problem here in the hope that some one would help me. So kindly help me.
    weird maybe try and reinstall grub? maybe take a look at something called super grub disk http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/245
    Last edited by mamamia88; October 8th, 2012 at 12:35 AM.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Could you run the boot info script in my signature and post the results in code tags?

Edit: Disregard my post, Bucky Ball understood the problem better than I did.

Thanks,
    Cipherboy
    Last edited by cipherboy_loc; October 8th, 2012 at 02:00 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you're talking about the menu at the beginning then hit Shift after the BIOS screen at boot to get a menu.

As for the other issue, are you using any third party graphics drivers or using the open-source default? Looks like it's having problems with your monitor which accounts for the delay.

Beans

Post Re: No Grub bootloader. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    If you're talking about the menu at the beginning then hit Shift after the BIOS screen at boot to get a menu.

As for the other issue, are you using any third party graphics drivers or using the open-source default? Looks like it's having problems with your monitor which accounts for the delay.

hi Bucky Ball,

I checked my system for proprietory drivers and it says ''no proprietory drivers are in use" so I think the system is using open source drivers. I also hit shift after the BIOS screen and I just saw a glimpse of "Grub loading" but then it disappeared and it logged into Linux Mint.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Have you done an update since install? If not do that and check Additional Drivers again. Which release are you using? It used to be 'Esc' key for the menu but then it changed to 'Shift'. Strange that not doing anything. That should be giving you the option to boot to Win or Ubuntu or Mint or whatever.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Have you done an update since install? If not do that and check Additional Drivers again. Which release are you using? It used to be 'Esc' key for the menu but then it changed to 'Shift'. Strange that not doing anything. That should be giving you the option to boot to Win or Ubuntu or Mint or whatever.

I am using Linux Mint Maya 13 Cinnamon. I have completely updated the system. I am very upset because of this no grub boot selector. I can't log in to Windows because of that and I have important data there.
    Last edited by lisati; October 10th, 2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well, you should be able to access that data without to much of an issue if that's any consolation. The button to press for the menu is shift in the newer versions of Ubuntu so not sure why it's not the same with Mint. You have the BIOS set to boot from the hard drive that grub is installed on? It should have been installed on sda.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Check here maybe for information on changing the grub config. It should tell you how to set the menu to display every boot:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...ing%20GRUB%202

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cipherboy_loc View Post
    ... how to set the menu to display every boot...
    That's pretty straight forward.

Open a terminal.
    Paste this in:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    Make these lines look like this:
    Code:
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    Hit Control+x then 'y' to save and exit. Reboot. You should get the menu for ten seconds (indefinitely if you then hit any key).

It might be a good idea to make a backup before you begin in case you make any mistakes:

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.bak
    Grub Customizer is the non-terminal way of doing this but not sure if there is an ISO or if you can install it to a Live boot (you can with Boot Repair but that won't help here ... yet).
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 8th, 2012 at 05:50 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast