Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows partition unmounted, stuck in grub rescue!

offgridguy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Windows partition unmounted, stuck in grub rescue!

I may be getting away from the context of this thread, but i have avoided so many of the problems
    i read about here by installing ubuntu on an older restored computer as the only OS. I did try a dual
    boot on a second computer and ran into a lot of complications, eventually uninstalled ubuntu . I realize the single system is not an option for everyone but it works well for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have to have a Windows partition because of the specialized applications that won't install on a Linux distro.

critin: I will check and do what you mentioned in 6 hours from now.
    PS: Thanks for all advice and direction.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Originally stated:
    (was trying to figure out which distro I liked the best and had them all installed for comparission).
    Virtual machines or live flash drives are the safest way to do this and keep Windows safe. Or, one Wubi at a time. I believe at the end you're going to have to reinstall Windows, deleting all the others. If that happens, size the disk first in the size you want for Windows, and make the remaining space unallocated. Install Windows, and make the unallocated an extended partition. You can then size the extended into separate smaller logical partitions for any amount of OS's that there is room for.

Install grub into the disk (not partitions).

Starting fresh is the safest, easiest way to get to where you want to get, and you never need to touch the windows partition again.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    i have avoided so many of the problems
    i read about here by installing ubuntu on an older restored computer as the only OS. I did try a dual
    boot on a second computer and ran into a lot of complications, eventually uninstalled ubuntu . I realize the single system is not an option for everyone but it works well for me.
    I agree, offgridguy. Those lucky enough to have a choice of having a machine dedicated to linux can learn it easier and faster. Even a separate disk is a plus.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro

Last night I finally snapped to what is going on. I had the System Rescue CD installed and was checking out a program called Test Disk (thought it was just for analysis of the disk). Found out it was for fixing and recovering the disk.
    It let me know that the /dev/sda1 partition ( where the Windows OS is) is too small (33GB)? Scratch head.
    I was in Gparted next (didn't want to mess around with Test Disk until I had more knowledge or help), and that is when I snapped to what was going on.
    The /dev/sda1 is only 33GB instead of 117.? GB.
    dev/sda2 is way bigger at over 87GB. This has the other linux partitions and the swap partition in it.
    I'm to much off a visual person and it took how Gparted showed the partitioning table for me to finally snap!

When I choose to split my Windows partition (wanted to just take a little off the end and put onto the partition next to it) I was not thinking at all. I thought it would be like messing with the other partitions, just cleaning up and organizing my space. What I managed to do is to create and run /dev/sda2 (with the linux partitions and the swap partition in side it) next to the Windows OS /dev/sda1 partition, instead of keeping the linux partitions inside of /dev/sda1

This is why the Windows OS is not booting.
    I need to figure out how to wipe the /dev/sda2 partition format it to NTFS and merge it back with the /dev/sda1 partition (without messing with the info inside /dev/sda1), then Windows will boot (after a little more work with the Boot Repair CD).

I really need to keep the /dev/sda1 from getting wiped or corrupted as I will lose a folder that I should have put on the USB drive after creating a live install for another distro. This folder has the culmination of all my programs and info for Development of ROM's for my Android device, programs to unbrick the phone and programs for my Windows OS as well as pictures and other info that's important. How much of it I would be able to chase down and re-download is a big guess (might take a month, and some things can't be found any more).

I had a double helping of stupidity on this deal.

After I get the /dev/sda2 merged into /dev/sda1 then I can install the Ubuntu CD again and the rest is all down hill from there (Will use the sliding scale partition manager in the Ubuntu install to correctly size the Windows OS this time)
    Last edited by AndyOpie150; October 10th, 2012 at 05:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You cannot merge formated partitions. But can delete a partition and then expand an adjacent partition into the unallocated space.

Testdisk usually does not say a partition is too small, but shows all the history including its original size and possibly other sizes you may have made over time. The more changes you do the more confusing testdisk can be as you have to know or at least have some idea of your partitions and sizes to really use testdisk to make repairs. With many changes you can have overlapping partitions and can only restore the ones that do not overlap.

Windows NTFS partitions have in the PBR - partition boot sector information on the size of the NTFS partition. That has to match partition table or else you will have issues. Usually chkdsk fixes that. Also NTFS partitions really like 30% free space to run well. Most partition tools will not let you shrink it too much but maybe not leave as much space as you really should have.

Post screenshot from gparted. You can attach to a post with the paperclip icon in the edit panel above your message.

If folder is that critical and you still have not backed it up, do that before any more changes. If you cannot see it from a liveCD, testdisk may show it with deeper search. But if still not seen you need to stop making changes, make a full image of drive and see if photorec can find your files. Photorec can recover deleted info, but only finds extensions not file names and is a long slow process. Then it a lot of work to attempt to restore files names if name is not inside file. After my experience with photorec, I went back and added file names to all my text files, scripts, & python programs.
    Last edited by oldfred; October 10th, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Finally was able to force mount the Windows partiton, using PartedMagic

oldfred: You where right about the actuall size issue of the partition. There was less than 2GB of space left. Once I deleted about 9GB of saved .iso's and a few other useless items (using Space FM in the System Rescue live CD), I was able to boot right into the Windows partition.

Now I really feel stupid. It wasn't Mini Tool's fault, it was my own (out of ignorance).

Cleaned everything up and wiped and formated the /dev/sda2 partition. Merged it with the /dev/sda1 partiton. Then ran the boot repair CD one more time.
    Installed the Ubuntu 12.04, as I can download the Gnome classic and KDE desktop environments so I can switch environments if I get bored with the look of one (don't like the unity at all).
    Made sure I gave the Windows partition 10 GB's of free space.

Will use the KDE once everything is updated (doing this without a connection initially).

Then I will split the Ubuntu partition and make another ext.4 to allow me to try different distro's out (I have to try something new at least once a week). This time I will allow everything plenty of free space. Instead of 3 distro's I will go down to my Daily Driver (Ubuntu with the KDE, or Gnome Classic desktop), and one new distro every week or so.

Thank's for all the advice and help critin.

Oldfred: I would have had a very hard time trying to figure it out without that one little piece of info (turned out to be huge).

I hate being an Old Newb. Seems like I don't pickup on things near as fast as I used to when I was in my 20's and 30's. Lack of experience really makes a fellow feel humble amongst all the knowledgeable members here.

Will mark this solved.
    Thanks again critin (who stuck with me thru this whole brain dead session of mine), and oldfred, who saved my bacon yet again.
    Last edited by AndyOpie150; October 11th, 2012 at 01:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Glad you got it worked out.

I had(have) XP but essentially stopped using it and have many installs of Ubuntu. I I originally had two drives one with XP and the other Ubuntu. But I created a shared FAT32 (Do not use FAT32, now), so I could have my Firefox & Thunderbird profiles in the shared data partition. Then while learning Ubuntu and my wife wanted to check email or Internet I did not have to reboot back into Windows.

Then a new larger drive and I started installing Ubuntu in 25GB / partitions. I still have those old installs, some test installs and a NTFS shared and ext3 data partition for almost all my data.

So if doing multiple installs you may want a shared partition or two.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

oldfred: Making a shared partition is deffinetly something I would be interested in doing. Could you link me to the best guide for accomplishing this?
    I don't want to mess up my Windows partition again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You just have to use gparted to create space assuming you have some space. And format as NTFS. Windows should automatically see it as d: drive. But in Ubuntu you have to create a mount point and mount it. You need to add mount to fstab to make a permanent mount.

Some links to cover most of the details. If you have specific questions post back.

Splitting home directory discussion and details:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1811198
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1901437

Shared /data (NTFS)-see post #3 oldfred
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1772620
    Mount, hide & link windows partition
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1397508
    Mount NTFS partition:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1927504
    Share Windows partition older:
    http://lifehacker.com/348858/use-a-s...n-dual-booting

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1983336
    suggest using templates for fstab mounting instead. Post #6

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder
    http://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/Profiles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast