Thread: Cryptkeeper does not mount folder.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Cryptkeeper does not mount folder.

I am using Ubuntu12.04 “cryptkeeper” package 0.9.5-5 AoA Model ZG5

I have set up an encrypted folder which shows in 'nautilus' but when I try to get access into it via the cryptkeeper icon all I get is 'the stash could not be mounted', my password is ok as cryptkeeper allowed me to change it. How do I 'mount' this folder? Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Cryptkeeper does not mount folder.

You should be able to mount the folder manually.
    Open a Terminal
    I normally create a folder called tmp

then use encfs to mount your stash folder to tmp...

Code:
    cd ~/
    mkdir tmp
    encfs ~/StashFolder ~/tmp
    replace the ~/StashFolder with the folder where your encrypted files are -- then replace the ~/tmp with the folder you want to to access your un-encrypted files from.

Once you no longer need to use the folder use...
    Code:
    fusermount -u ~/tmp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks for such a simple and concise procedure which Cryptkeeper could not solve.
    The so called 'Stashfolder' is the hidden encrpted folder begining /. and ending _encfs hence:-

cushie@Netbook-Precise:~$ encfs ~/.Docs-crypt_encfs ~/Docs-crypt

EncFS Password: #enter password

#Decrypts the folder. Yes, the encrypted files are now available in file 'Docs-crypt'

cushie@Netbook-Precise:~$ fusermount -u ~/Docs-crypt

#this removes files in the unencrypted folder 'Docs-crypt' (and may be deleted)

Having sorted this and got it working I went back to Cryptkeeper which made the folders in the first instance and it would not recognise or import the _encfs file as an encrypted file.

If Cryptkeeper can not mount its own folders is there a simple way of having the encrypted folder mounted at boot time or is that not adviseable?
    Last edited by Cushie; October 10th, 2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: post script

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cushie View Post
    Thanks for such a simple and concise procedure which Cryptkeeper could not solve.
    The so called 'Stashfolder' is the hidden encrpted folder begining /. and ending _encfs hence:-

cushie@Netbook-Precise:~$ encfs ~/.Docs-crypt_encfs ~/Docs-crypt

EncFS Password: #enter password

#Decrypts the folder. Yes, the encrypted files are now available in file 'Docs-crypt'

cushie@Netbook-Precise:~$ fusermount -u ~/Docs-crypt

#this removes files in the unencrypted folder 'Docs-crypt' (and may be deleted)

Having sorted this and got it working I went back to Cryptkeeper which made the folders in the first instance and it would not recognise or import the _encfs file as an encrypted file.

If Cryptkeeper can not mount its own folders is there a simple way of having the encrypted folder mounted at boot time or is that not adviseable?
    Maybe try to rename the folder that holds the encrypted files to something like Docs-Encrypted and see if you can import it then.
    Also are you trying to import the folder or the .encfs6.xml file? When you are chosing a file to import try to push Ctrl+H to show hidden files.

If that doesn't work you could make a script that will allow you to quickly mount the folder through a terminal...

Code:
    mkdir ~/bin
    cat << _END > ~/bin/mountDocs
    encfs ~/StashFolder ~/mountPoint
     _END
    nano ~/bin/mountDocs
    If you do this, the next time you log in you can open a terminal(Ctrl+Alt+T Ubuntu default) and type in mountDocs then hit enter. It will then ask you for your password.