Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: mission of ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    In Linux, system-wide settings are in /var,
    You mean /etc. Just sayin'.

@OP: Couldn't we just focus on providing healthy competition where everyone benefits, and not worry about filesystems?

Beans

If you want the Windows experience use Windows, if you want the OSX experience use OSX, if you want the Linux experience use your choice of Distro.

Vive la difference.

It is pointless producing 200 clones.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    You mean /etc. Just sayin'.

@OP: Couldn't we just focus on providing healthy competition where everyone benefits, and not worry about filesystems?
    will the world explode if the filesystem is changed?

you are more competitive by offering something better and you do so by listening to feedback not trashing it.

Beans

It is pointless producing 200 clones.
    going back to the bicycle analogy, by designing a bicycle with rounder and same sized wheels is a clone of the elliptical wheels? really?

can you explain me the benefit of referring to a folder that has applications in it as /bin better than /programs?

if not better how is the intuitiveness the same?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by num View Post
    offering something better and you do so by listening to feedback not trashing it.
    I find this irksome.

So far, I've only heard 1 person complaining about the filesystem in this thread, apologies if I've missed anyone, and while I'm not going to say you're wrong, I think it's safe to say that most other users couldn't care less what their filesystem looks like as long as it's usable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by num View Post
    Didn't I clearly say it that by providing a "different" experience you should provide a better one? The irony is that you ignore that and say that I want Linux to act exactly like Winodows but if I wanted that why not just stick with Windows? Aside from your argument being false it makes no sense.
    Then stop using Windows as an example. Who cares if it is called /florp or /freep or \Programs Files or /bin? Who says the experience is thereby better or worse? Are you the arbiter of that assessment? Who says the Linux experience is not already better? And who, again, says the mission of Ubuntu or any distro should be to proselytize?

I don't know why you like analogies but that is a poor one, assumption is that there is something wrong with the German language when there isn't. by calling a folder /bin and not /programs creates an issue, there is no benefit of calling it /bin.
    You miss the analogy, obviously. The point is that there is nothing at all wrong with the German language. When in the US, I refer to "glasses". In Germany, I refer to "die Brille". Being fluent in both languages can be useful. When using Windows, I think of "\Program Files". In Linux "/bin". The issue with "\Program Files" versus "/bin" seems to be yours.

If you want an analogy then here is one, take all bicycles and consider them as the "operating system" in general. Consider a modern mountain bike with oval wheels to be Windows and then consider a penny farthing with square wheels to be Linux.
    I prefer the analogy to fixed-wind and rotary-wing aircraft. No matter. Again with the comparison to Windows. And who, besides you, has decided that the wheels are square on the Linux penny farthing?

Ubuntu is the equivalent of putting stickers and ribbons on the penny farthing instead of dealing with the issue of a big square wheel
    The big square wheel you seem to see. The ones you seem to want to see.

Indeed both are bikes and both will get you places. by refusing to develop where Windows done better Linux sticks with the square wheels.
    Another comparison to Windows, and to square wheels you seem to see.

A better approach would be to reduce the size of the wheels and make more rounder than Windows.
    Who says they are not at least as round or rounder? You? I think the wheels are as round and useful as the alternative. Nobody can make a perfectly round wheel. I don't see either as having done a better or worse job than the other. Must an alternative be "better" or "worse"? Why not just different? Why not just better at some things. Windows and Linux do some things better than the other. Why is this an issue? This is not an "either or" proposition. There is nothing wrong with having both an airplane and a helicopter to fly as the purpose or mood moves you.
    Last edited by QIII; October 9th, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And round and round we go, in ever more repetitive circles..............

Closed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345