Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Booting USB drive from GRUB menu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Booting USB drive from GRUB menu

I put super grub2 disk on the same usb as my ubuntu live, if the usb is plugged in I select supergrub2 and ask it to detect all OS, which it does inc windows, then I just choose the latest linux. If it's not it just automatically boots to windows. Both windows and Ubuntu are installed on the same hard drive.
    I used sardu to build the usb stick.
    If I've understood you right this would give you the grub menue to boot any OS but only when the usb is plugged in.
    If you want to be able to do it without the usb then this is pretty much the same question I asked a while back and someone suggested I install super grub2 on the hard drives and not on the usb stick

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by greatsirkain View Post
    I put super grub2 disk on the same usb as my ubuntu live, if the usb is plugged in I select supergrub2 and ask it to detect all OS, which it does inc windows, then I just choose the latest linux. If it's not it just automatically boots to windows. Both windows and Ubuntu are installed on the same hard drive.
    I used sardu to build the usb stick.
    If I've understood you right this would give you the grub menue to boot any OS but only when the usb is plugged in.
    If you want to be able to do it without the usb then this is pretty much the same question I asked a while back and someone suggested I install super grub2 on the hard drives and not on the usb stick
    I think your solution would work, along with installing regular grub on the live USB. If nothing else works, I'll resort to that, but being able to boot from Precise, would've been best. The less things installed on the usb the better.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just another option: Plop Boot Manager.
    I have an old 2003 machine. With Plop Boot Manager I can choose what I want to boot into, CD, USB etc. ,without having to go into the BIOS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12