Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 refusing to update

Beans

Exclamation Ubuntu 12.10 refusing to update

Hey,

I recently decided to try out Ubuntu 12.10 and it has been working fine so far.

However, yesterday I clicked on "About my Computer" and the button on the bottom right is telling me I can upgrade. When I click the button, I get the message that the software updater is checking for updates, it tries for about 5 minutes before telling asking me whether I have an internet connection or not (I do, I'm browsing the internet right now).

Anyway I can force it to connect and update? I haven't changed any of the Repo settings, and the updater was working until recently when I tried to upgrade today.

Thank you.

This is the error message I receive:

W:Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/yorba/ppa/u...source/Sources 404 Not Found
    , W:Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/yorba/ppa/u...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
    , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    Last edited by danbrownlow; October 7th, 2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Forgot to include error message text.
    Ubuntu User # 13393

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 refusing to update

Ubuntu 12.10 hasn't been released yet and the owner of that PPA doesn't yet have a quantal version of the repository.

If you change 'quantal' to 'precise' in your sources list for that PPA you should find that you can run the update without seeing the error you have quoted. Whether the application that you're getting from the PPA will actually run correctly is another matter though.

By the way your post should have been put in the Quantal Forum - http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=416.
    Last edited by PaulW2U; October 7th, 2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Improved grammar

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

THat PPA repository doesn't provide packages for 12.10 at the moment. Just remove the PPA and the problem will disappear.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danbrownlow View Post
    Hey,

I recently decided to try out Ubuntu 12.10 and it has been working fine so far.

However, yesterday I clicked on "About my Computer" and the button on the bottom right is telling me I can upgrade. When I click the button, I get the message that the software updater is checking for updates, it tries for about 5 minutes before telling asking me whether I have an internet connection or not (I do, I'm browsing the internet right now).

Anyway I can force it to connect and update? I haven't changed any of the Repo settings, and the updater was working until recently when I tried to upgrade today.

Thank you.

This is the error message I receive:
    EditAnswered above. Twice.
    The ppa yorba you added in 12.04 doesn't have 12.10 packages.
    Open software sources > other software
    and disable both the binary and source ppa for yorba.
    Last edited by stinkeye; October 7th, 2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Too slow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu