Thread: Installing on MBP, stuck on boot

Beans

Installing on MBP, stuck on boot

Hi all, I was installing Ubuntu 12.04 on my MacBook Pro (model 5,3).. I made the partition with Disk Utility (16GB of free space) and I prepared an USB stick using this guide.. using rEFIt I boot with the USB until the Ubuntu’s boot menu, but when i choose the option "try ubuntu", it gets stuck with the black screen and the flashing white underscore..

so actually i can't move on, but i can't neither go back, because disk utility doesn't recognize anymore the free space partition that i created..

please, any help is appreciated..
    thanks
    DNL

Beans

Re: Installing on MBP, stuck on boot

i solved the previous issue using a live cd instead of the usb memory flash..

so i correctly installed the OS but unfortunately now i have another issue. when i choose to boot with ubuntu from the grub screen, i get stuck with these error codes:

Code:
    [8.417978] [drm] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: DCB I2C entry invalid
    [8.516004] [drm] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: PRAMIN flush timeout
    [12,455571] [drm] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: PRAMIN flush timeout
    [16.328490] [drm] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: PRAMIN flush timeout
    in this thread i found this solution
    After completing the installer, Ubuntu still wouldn't boot- in recovery mode, I'd see a "pramin flush timeout" error message, which was related to problems with the builtin nouveau nvidia driver. By adding "nouveau.noaccel=1 blacklist=vga16fb" to the kernel boot options, I was able to get past that error and boot, then fix the problem permanently by installing the proprietary nvidia driver
    but i can't figure out how to make it work.. i tried to modify the boot option with grub, but it doesn't boot yet..

any advice?

thank you
    DNL

Beans

Re: Installing on MBP, stuck on boot

i found a workaround to bypass the above issue.. with grub i choose the recovery mode, and when prompted i choose to resume the normal boot..

a popup appears saying: You are now going to exit the recovery mode and continue the boot sequence. Please note that some graphic drivers require a full boot and so will fail when resuming from recovery. If that's the case, simply reboot from the login screen and then perform a standard boot.

if i restart again performing a standard boot i still have the same problem.. is there a way to solve it definitely now from inside ubuntu? do i have to change something about the graphic drivers?

thanks for your help