Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a laptop and want Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Looking to buy a laptop and want Ubuntu!

Hey Gang...

I'm one of many Ubuntu users out here and enjoying it on my desktop computer. But now I got a few extra bucks in my pocket and want to pick up a laptop for travel reason for the RV. But 99% of everything comes with windows. What I want to know is there any laptop to watch for or hardware to watch for that doesn't work with Ubuntu? I know there is System 76 for laptops too but I can do a bit better in price I think. So what out there for laptop information I got to watch for?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Looking to buy a laptop and want Ubuntu!

I found out recently that if you buy a laptop with windows already on it you can demand a refund for the microsoft license (as long as you don't use windows), if you bought it at a store they'll probably send you straight to the manufacturer but after lots of messing around you can claim a good chunk of your money back. So half the price of basic laptops & then you can just search for compatibility between the exact make & model + Ubuntu, makes shopping a little easier

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've been reading over the laptop thread but its so wide and far about makes and models its tough to search out what I'm buying to what is known.

Beans

You may find this list helpful: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Maybe you should take a look at Ubuntu certified hardware. It also depends how much money you would like to spend and which company you prefer (Acer, Dell, Toshiba,...).

Regards

Edit: snowpine was faster =)

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans

I'm running 5 laptops at this time all are Toshiba and worked right out of the box. All are Intel based only. The latest I have is a L650 i5 which I have been using over a year now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    You may find this list helpful: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/

Good luck!
    Thanks for the list. But like everything I'm running into is older laptop on the list and none of the newer laptops seem to be listed.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDanton View Post
    Maybe you should take a look at Ubuntu certified hardware. It also depends how much money you would like to spend and which company you prefer (Acer, Dell, Toshiba,...).

Regards

Edit: snowpine was faster =)
    Like I'm looking at a Acer Aspire AS5552, Toshiba L6555D, Gateway NV55S, or Lenovo IdeaPad... AMD Proc., 4 GB Ram, etc. But doesn't give much for a hardware listing on them.

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    I'm running 5 laptops at this time all are Toshiba and worked right out of the box. All are Intel based only. The latest I have is a L650 i5 which I have been using over a year now.
    Looking at the above listing of certified computers there is only 3 in the Toshiba line I can imagine yours are not one of them.

What I gone as far and done is called the manufacture of the laptops I'm interested in and ask for technically advise and 99% of the time they are clueless to Linux anything. Which really surprises me. I figure with as popular as Linux is getting the manufactures would have a little clue about it. But sadly they don't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Done Deal...

I got a Toshiba Satellite L875D Laptop. Got it home and waded through the Windows junk and got a partition setup for Linux.

Manufacture specs.
    http://us.toshiba.com/computers/lapt...0/L875D-S7232/

BOOM! The Ubuntu fired up without a issue. All hardware appears to function under Linux where the windows side has problems with Fn (Function keys).
    Michael Nelson -=- AKA: Mopar1973Man

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
    Done Deal...

I got a Toshiba Satellite L875D Laptop. Got it home and waded through the Windows junk and got a partition setup for Linux.

Manufacture specs.
    http://us.toshiba.com/computers/lapt...0/L875D-S7232/

BOOM! The Ubuntu fired up without a issue. All hardware appears to function under Linux where the windows side has problems with Fn (Function keys).
    I never tried a AMD from Toshiba. Glad it worked right out of the box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    I never tried a AMD from Toshiba. Glad it worked right out of the box.
    I'm AMD freak...

I've got 3 desktop computer that are all AMD series. Then now the new laptop.

Is there anything laptop wise I need to be aware of as far as Ubuntu software??
    Michael Nelson -=- AKA: Mopar1973Man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast