Thread: how to make a DOS boot CD or USB drive?

Beans

how to make a DOS boot CD or USB drive?

I need to update my Bios and the first step will be to boot into DOS. I'm sure this is covered out here, by=ut searches haven't found it. Either a CD or from a USB drive is fine. Thanks! (And simple, non-terrifying procedures are appreciated.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: how to make a DOS boot CD or USB drive?

Beans

Thanks, I guess I wasn't clear. I know how to boot to whatever I want (I have both Mint and Ubuntu installed), but I'm not understanding instructions on how to make a bootable DOS disk or a bootable USB drive. That's what I need to update the bios.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I say use FreeDOS or UBCD and put it on a flash drive along with the bios update files (in their own directory e.g. BIOS) then boot into Freedos or UBCD and flash that way. UBCD = Ultimate Boot CD - google it.
    Where's [slooksterpsv] been? - I had Catastrophic partition alignment failure. I lost 90%+ of my data, and just now got it back fixed and working.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    I say use FreeDOS or UBCD and put it on a flash drive along with the bios update files (in their own directory e.g. BIOS) then boot into Freedos or UBCD and flash that way. UBCD = Ultimate Boot CD - google it.
    Thanks, I think I actually understand this! And I'm almost there, have all this downloaded already. Now let's see if it works . . .

Beans

Nope, no joy - can't write these to the USB for some reason, and can't seem to burn them, either. I'm giving up. Thanks anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can use Unetbootin to create a FreeDOS bootable USB, just select FreeDOS from the drop down list and it will automatically download it and create a bootable USB.
    Cheesemill