Thread: Slow Internet

Beans

Slow Internet

Hello,

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS again and I'm finding my internet is incredibly slow.

When I was running Windows I was able to torrent files at 500kbps-1mbps. Now I'm lucky to get 100kbps on wireless and 250kbps plugged in via ethernet.

I had this problem when I was running Ubuntu before but had assumed it was my then-shoddy internet connection. But, since switching to Windows and back again, the problem has reoccured.

I have a Gateway NV52.

I don't really know where to go about troubleshooting this or even what questions to ask. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Slow Internet

Hi,

The first thing to do would be to prove is the problem is actually Ubuntu or just your internet. Run a speed test (www.speedtest.net) within Windows and Ubuntu and see if there is a difference between the two.

I wouldn't rely on the speed of a torrent as their speeds are sporadic by their very nature. If you could come back to us once you've done a speed test in both OS's we can then help further.

Also check that you have the latest Wireless drivers installed. Search for "additional drivers" in the dash to do this. Can you also post your hardware please...ie what computer you have and specs.

Thanks,

Jing

Beans

Hi Jing,

I can't do a speed test under Windows as that would involve re-installing it on this machine.

I did the speed test under Ubuntu and got a d/l speed of 0.49mbps and then on my iPad and got 13.21mbps. Something is definitely up. (It also took about 2 minutes for the speed test page to load!)

My computer is a Gateway NV52 laptop. I'm not sure what specs you want. Talk to me like I'm 2 and tell me where to find them and I'll gladly provide you with that info

I don't have any additional drivers to install, that one I checked before I started.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Hello,

I've heard that certain network cards do not play well with Linux.

Also heard that Ubuntu only supports slower versions of wireless on certain machines.

Best regards,

Will1982

Beans

I ended up reinstalling windows. My husband needs a computer that an stream video at a reasonable rate for an online class he's taking. I may try again in 9 weeks when the class is done and I have time to play around.

Shame.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by knittymarie View Post
    I ended up reinstalling windows. My husband needs a computer that an stream video at a reasonable rate for an online class he's taking. I may try again in 9 weeks when the class is done and I have time to play around.

Shame.
    ...at which point, you may wish to install Ubuntu to a separate partition to allow dual boot. It is easier to chase down a difference when there is a basis for comparison. Please also post system configuration including network card/chipset.