Thread: Sarbent a11n & Ubuntu Paranoid Paragon

Beans

Sarbent a11n & Ubuntu Paranoid Paragon

Hey there, first, let me say thanks for reviewing my question.

I've been tackling trying to get this Ubuntu 12.04 precise pangolin machine connected via wifi for the better part of a week. Let me preface the next paragraph by noting that I am by no means an expert in linux.

I unfortunately do not possess the ability to connect directly to my router with a wired connection; this has compounded my issue. I've tried connecting to my network with several different wifi cards before finally reviewing a list of supported devices out of the box.

I went down to my local store and picked up a Sarbent a11n which said it was supported (Ralink chipset of some sort? rtl8192cu?).

Anyway, I came home and plugged'er in. Right out of the box it worked and found my network. I attempted to connect to it and it and it attempts, then says disconnected. It does this quite a few times before it no longer attempts a connection.

I've done sudo cat /var/log/syslog | grep -e ipw -e firmware -e wpa -e wlan -e etork | tail n-55 and see that it continually faces a warning:

ggtr-server networkmanager[626]: <warn> Actvation (wlan1) failed for access point (belkin.2ca), which is prefaced by:

ggtr-server networkmanager[626]: <warn> Activation (wlan1/wireless): association took too long, failing activation.

Here's the output from the requested commands to be included when posting for help (Sorry if mispelled in some areas, had to type it out by hand)

Code:
    Machine Brand / Model -- Dell Dimension 4600 Mini Tower
    Code:
    Wireless Brand / Model -- Bus 001 Device : ID 0bda:8176 RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN
    Code:
    ifconfig:

wlan1 

Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:09:c9:19:a2:5e
        inet6 addr: fe80::209:c9ff:fe19:a25e/64 scope:Link
        UP BROADCAST MJULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
        RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
        TX packets:29 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
        collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
        rx bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:6988 (6.9 KB)
    Code:
    iwconfig:

wlan1

IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:off/any
        Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
        Try long limit:7  RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr:off
        Power Management:off
    Code:
    lsmod | grep "wlan" produced no matching results.
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network

*-network
            description: Wirelesst Interface
            physical id: 1
            bus info: usb@1:3
            logical name: wlan1
            serial: 00:09:c9:19:a2:5e
            capabilites: ethernet physical wireless
            configuration: brodcast=yes driver=rtl8192cu driverversion=2.3.0-29-generic-pae firmware=N/A link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
    Code:
    sudo iwlist scan wlan1:

wlan1 No scan results
    Code:
    lsb_release -d

Description:    Ubuntu 12.0.1 LTS
    Code:
    uname -r

3.2.0-29-generic-pae i686
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

(some message about deprecation)
        * Reconfiguring Network interfaces.... [ OK ]
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ohgodwhy; October 7th, 2012 at 01:20 AM.

Beans

Re: Sarbent a11n & Ubuntu Paranoid Paragon

Anyone? Please. I've been at my wit's end for quite some time and I'm running out of possibilities. I am having difficulties trying to compile from the source against my kernel.

Any documentation or links would be helpful as a week's worth of googling and reinstalling and trying everything known-to-me has been in vain.

Thank you.

Beans

Re: Sarbent a11n & Ubuntu Paranoid Paragon

Apparently the distance from the router was too great. I was about 20 feet away, I've since moved the machine into a room that's a bit closer and low-and-behold it connected instantly with NO issues what so ever.

It sucks that I made this post and it will likely not be relevant for users in the future.

Maybe a mod can delete it.

Thank you anyway.