Thread: Unity running at warp speed!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unity running at warp speed!

I just did a fresh install of quantal-desktop RC on a HP Pavilion a1106n (64/32)@32bit and Unity is running at warp speed ! When entering letters in the search dialog field the icons simutaneously appear (no delays as before) and there is a definite speed increase overall in the way applications windows open from the Unity Panel

One bug during install is that Ubiquity did not recognize Fedora17 install - but I'm not complaining because I just find Gnome 3 so terribly boring and non eventful.

Back on topic - there is a definite speed increase and smoothness of transitions-windows over Precise (on that same machine) and I just thought it would be noteworthy to mention . So I plan to isolate that excellent Oct.14th Quantal-desktop-i386.iso daily and keep it in my back pocket.!

regards,
    ventrical

*edit*

Just a note.. this speedy unity is running on a fresh - non-updated install of quantal RC.
    Last edited by ventrical; October 17th, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans

Re: Unity running at warp speed!

Really glad to read this. I had this experience about a week ago or so when I tried a daily. It was very quick indeed, and a good step up from 12.04. I don't have a great spec (below), but I'm hoping performance is still excellent.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, nVidia 9800GT 512Mb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    Really glad to read this. I had this experience about a week ago or so when I tried a daily. It was very quick indeed, and a good step up from 12.04. I don't have a great spec (below), but I'm hoping performance is still excellent.
    Hi BigSilly

I've run ubuntu 12.04 on Athlon 64 machines with no problems and found that intergrated graphics is the main one that trips up weaker pcs but a geforce 9800gt will be more than powerful enough for anything ubuntu and unity can throw at you.

Barry
    Desktop: Z77X-UD5H, Intel i7 3770k, NVidia GeForce 660 Ti Sli 16GB DDR3 RAM 2TB HDD
    OSes: Mint 14 x64 Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430
    OSes: Ubuntu 13.04 x64, Backtrack 5 R3

Beans

Yes, I was fine with 12.04 on this machine when I had it installed a while ago. Very nice, but it wasn't as quick as 12.10 (it was a daily I used) was when I tried that. As the OP says, it was fair bombing around with no problems.

I just think that despite the negative press it's seen recently, this is proof that Unity in and of itself is maturing nicely.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, nVidia 9800GT 512Mb