Thread: trouble upgrading from unsupported version

Hybrid View

Beans

trouble upgrading from unsupported version

Hi!

I'm trying to get into Ubuntu and have just installed it from a disk I had lying around. The version is 7.04, and I would like to upgrade to a more recent version.

I've tried using update manager, but I get an error message that it "Could not download all repository indexes" with a list of maybe 20+ websites. Most of these start with security.ubuntu.com or us.archive.ubuntu.com.

Can anyone help me?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: trouble upgrading from unsupported version

7o4 is long dead, EOL in 2008. You need to burn a new copy of ubuntu. Whats your computer specs?

And welcome to the forum

Beans

I was afraid you might say that. I have tried burning an iso to a disk, but I'm struggling to actually boot from it. I also have the iso on my hard drive, but haven't found a way to upgrade from inside Ubuntu. I guess I just need to figure out why the iso won't run from disk.

I'm running a Pentium dual core 3.2Ghz processor with a 1 Tb hard drive.

Beans
    Hidden!

Your specs are good, running full blown Ubuntu should not be a problem. You may or may not have to install video drivers. This link may help with the install. Any other questions you may have, just post them

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...ubuntu-desktop

Beans

I have burned a CD containing "ubuntu-12.04.1-desktop-i386.iso" as a single file. Every help page seems to think I can just drop this in my CD-ROM and install now, but this doesn't seem to work. My computer just goes straight to Ubuntu.

The CD seems good, I can see it on my Ubuntu desktop and browse the iso contents. The motherboard recognizes the CD-ROM... after all, I installed this old version of Ubuntu this way!

I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Beans

ok, I think I understand... it seems that you don't burn iso files to a CD the same way you burn, say, a text file to a CD. It's not drag and drop, you need to "burn the image" onto the CD.

I am trying this now, and I suspect this is going to solve my problems. Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by elindauer View Post
    I have burned a CD containing "ubuntu-12.04.1-desktop-i386.iso" as a single file. Every help page seems to think I can just drop this in my CD-ROM and install now, but this doesn't seem to work. My computer just goes straight to Ubuntu.

The CD seems good, I can see it on my Ubuntu desktop and browse the iso contents. The motherboard recognizes the CD-ROM... after all, I installed this old version of Ubuntu this way!

I'm at a loss. Any ideas?
    The .iso file is what you downloaded. You have to create either a bootable CD/DVD or a live USB. What functional computer do you have access to? Quite a few people prefer a live USB to a CD though I've never had a CD fail to boot. Many CD burning programs will create a bootable CD from an .iso file. To create a live USB, I've had good luck with Unetbootin, google will find it. If you choose the live USB option, you may have to change the boot order in your BIOS.