Thread: Netbook remix wireless problem

Beans

Netbook remix wireless problem

Hi , I'm quite new to Ubuntu, I recently broke my laptop and in order to get back online cheaply I bought a second hand netbook. I installed Ubuntu (ubuntu 10.10 netbook remix)in order to speed it up a bit as windows 7 was too much for the 1gb ram. The only problem is I've had problems with the wireless internet ever since, it will disconnect randomly and even when it is connected it will stop functioning every few minutes. I'm living abroad at the moment and rely on skype to keep in touch with my family so any help would be appreciated.

PS. I have an atheros driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Netbook remix wireless problem

I had this same problem back on 10.10 with my netbook (Compaq Mini 110). I did a tonne of research on how to fix the problem but I just couldn't work it out. In the end I rolled back to 10.04 to fix the problem, when 11.04 was released it seemed to fix the problem (no idea how or why).

It might be worth trying one of the 12.04 distro's as they are a lot more up to date. 10.10 is EOL (end of life) now so is no longer maintained so I would recommend this anyway.

If your device can't handle 12.04 then maybe think about one of the lighter distro's like Xubuntu 12.04. That should run on it no problem. Like I said, I don't know what caused or fixed the problem with my wireless but it can't hurt to be on the most up to date distro anyway.

Sorry I can't really help much more than that. Maybe one of the guru's on here has something for you to try, but personally, I'd try that first. You can always run Xubuntu as a live USB/CD to see how it works (it will be a little slower in live mode).

Beans

Hi, I tried to upgrade to 11.04 before but was foiled by my dodgy connection, I tried again after reading your reply and for some reason it worked, the wireless is still a lot slower than on my laptop but it is a great improvement on 10.10, thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Why not Xubuntu 12.04. It has all the newest ppa's and software but it a lot lighter than Ubuntu.

Happy to help