Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Forums Android App

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ubuntu Forums Android App

Howdy-ho, all!

I find myself browsing ubuntu forums alot on my Android. It's kind of awkward...

Anyway, unless someone knows about one already, I'd like to proposition an open-source project to create a native Android app for the job. Where can I find documentation (if it exists) on an ubuntu forums API? If it doesn't exist, what do I have to do to get it, because I feel like a lot of people would want a nice, streamlined way to browse the forums. Maybe it could even help with Ubuntu adoption, to know that they have quick, free access to any help they might need on their mobile (the internet isn't always available on a broken machine!)

Thoughts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu Forums Android App

I too, browse these forums on my android phone, and think a native app would be a great idea. As for the API info, maybe you should try PM'ing a mod.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

IMO, a vbulletin app would be much more suitable, and could be used to access any vbulletin forum, not just UF.org.

If I'm not mistaken, one such app already exists.
    The DRUNKS - For Your Inner Drunk

Beans
    Hidden!

I'd honestly like it best if there was a mobile theme for the forums. That would be suitable enough IMO. I've seen such themes on other forums, and it makes browsing on a phone A LOT nicer.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    I'd honestly like it best if there was a mobile theme for the forums. That would be suitable enough IMO. I've seen such themes on other forums, and it makes browsing on a phone A LOT nicer.
    That would certainly be nice, but at the same time, when it comes to, say, feed-reading
    (Like ubuntu forums latest post feed!), or email, there are mobile sites for such things, but I almost always opt for the native app that does the same thing. Because the user experience is much better, I don't have to manually navigate to the web page, blah blah blah. The point is, there's such a thing as mobile app development because people don't necessarily want to do everything through a web browser (sorry, chromeOS!).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeylover View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, one such app already exists.
    What's this app called and where can I find it?

I'd still want one for ubuntu forums, though, if for no other reason than to promote Ubuntu adoption (hell, they're already open source with Android! Why not?).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by idi0tf0wl View Post
    What's this app called and where can I find it?

I'd still want one for ubuntu forums, though, if for no other reason than to promote Ubuntu adoption (hell, they're already open source with Android! Why not?).
    I called tapatalk. I think it does require the forum mods to install a plugin on the forum side.
    The DRUNKS - For Your Inner Drunk

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeylover View Post
    I called tapatalk. I think it does require the forum mods to install a plugin on the forum side.
    Wicked. Way to take the initiative, man! I hope that works out...

Just the same, though, looking at that website, wouldn't it be great if there was an open source implementation for the community? Then others could borrow the engine or pay some publicity forward. It seems more right to do something like this with open source...

Also, am I the only person who sees the benefit of having a standalone forum browser for Ubuntu? I really feel like being able to tell people (I proselytize constantly) they can just download this app and search for whatever issue they might have would really make people more receptive to adoption. And you get the residual advertising from the Market and everything.

Beans
    Distro

Guess it's just me, after all...

Beans

I think it would be a great idea. I haven't got an android (yet) I'd like one for the desktop or an addition to Gwibber.
    Just give me another year to learn programming and I'll help make it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast