Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Linux Based Computer - But Not Marketed as Such?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

New Linux Based Computer - But Not Marketed as Such?

I've been reading (AARP Magazine) and other sources about the "Telikin (aka "Wow")" Computer. Advertised as the first computer for "Seniors" and worlds easiest computer to learn. This system's been getting a lot of attention, including ads on the Rachel Ray show etc.

Of interest to me (and other folks) is whether the underlying system is Linux (or even Ubuntu) based. I've read that the head of technology for this company (Telikin) does have extensive Linux experience.

Any thoughts? Maybe this is based on Android, although I'm still inclined to think it's based on a more mature, robust Linux system such as debian, fedora, or ubuntu.

Here's the Link: http://www.telikin.com/index.php
    Last edited by GregA; October 6th, 2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: More info

Beans
    Distro

Is Telikin Linux PC an "Up & Comer" ?

Moderators - - pls feel free to delete or merge this thread - - initially, I added this as another angle to the same topic (re the Telikin PC) . . thanks.

Interesting system - the Telikin PC. Sold on Amazon, Sears, Best Buy and other major onliners. Uses linux back-end, but proprietary Telikin front end. I do wish the company success, but it's too bad the system can't be marketed safely as a Linux system. The "Seniors" market segment is huge, and will be growing.

Too bad Mark & company couldn't have come up with this from Canonical. Perhaps someone (other than MS and Apple) should look into acquiring Telikin.

Any thoughts?

http://www.telikin.com/index.php
    Last edited by GregA; October 6th, 2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: typos

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: New Linux Based Computer - But Not Marketed as Such?

Nope the company isn't talking about the OS, but a search on "telikin OS" revealed that there are flaws/bugs that telikin has acknowledge. So im seeing red flags.

Beans

This is on their website.
    http://www.telikin.com/open_source.php
    Last edited by jack454; October 6th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Not an Ubuntu support question; moved to Community Cafe.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Jack - - that answers the basic question as to whether or not their system is based on Linux. Kind of interesting that they chose "Tiny Core" Linux. The engineering group apparently has a good handle on the technology involved, including development of their custom user interface.

What's also interesting to me is they've chosen a strategy of no Linux marketing etc. That has up sides and down sides. The up sides are less interference from the power players (MS & Apple), among others, but the down side is no community support and assistance for the user base.

IF this system were to start really selling (as in 100k or more units), MS and Apple will start paying attention - as in copyright litigation, or even outright purchase and suppression.

I'll continue to track this as I think the concept and plan is a great one - - I hope Telikin is successful.
    Last edited by GregA; October 6th, 2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: typos/spelling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    <snip>
    IF this system were to start really selling (as in 100k or more units), MS and Apple will start paying attention - as in copyright litigation, or even outright purchase and suppression.

I'll continue to track this as I think the concept and plan is a great one - - I hope Telikin is successful.
    The target market of this machine might make litigation 'awkward', I'd think. "Why are you picking on Grandma/Grandpa?". I too find the choice of Tinycore a bit curious.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

On their web site it says it's "virus resistant".

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Is Telikin Linux PC an "Up & Comer" ?

The "Seniors" market segment is huge, and will be growing.
    Any thoughts?
    An "Up & Comer"? I don't think so..

Any time I see a computer or other technical apparatus advertised as 'for Seniors', it's main functions are always 'easy email, photo sharing and web browsing', with emphasis on 'easy'. Nothing more. There are other ways to use a computer, and I imagine even 'Seniors' know a few of them.

I don't like the simple, toy-like appearance of this one and it's too expensive for what you get. What justifies the price of $600? I couldn't find anything about being able to download apps, so what you see is what you get? No mention of memory or disk size. No mention of cd player or usb ports.

Computers for children are similar and the cost is much less. Even Apple is making one cheaper. I find it offensive to assume Seniors would actually spend so much to get so little just because they're older.

Just my thoughts and my opinion.
    Last edited by critin; October 6th, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    What's also interesting to me is they've chosen a strategy of no Linux marketing etc.
    "Linux" wouldn't be a selling point in their market. Not sure what ground MS would have to litigate. That said, I'd bet they get nowhere near the 100k sales mark.

Almost everyone who doesn't need significant storage capacity and/or doesn't spend hours at the keyboard should just buy an iPad. Seriously.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast