Thread: Shredder-new file deletion application.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Shredder-new file deletion application.

I've been working on this project for a while with a friend, but it's just about ready for a first release, so I thought I'd post it here and get some response/critique. Mods: feel free to move this!

Shredder

Premise:

You need to securely delete some files, but you know (if you don't, you jolly well should!) that the data is still on the disk until it is overwritten. You don't really want to overwrite the entire disk, however.

Solution:

Overwrite files with random data again and again, so no data is left. This is what programs like shred and srm do. However, you're not really a CLI person. So we came up with shredder, which scrubs files with random data, then removes them from the filesystem table if wished, all through a nice GUI frontend.

Sound good? Well, there is a zipped 64-bit .deb installer attached (sorry to those on 32-bit, I haven't got a 32-bit box to build on), as well as a source tarball (typical installation: make, then sudo make install)

Limitations/Disclaimer:

Many filesystems can and do keep fragments, copies, and snapshots of files, so we can't guarantee that your file will be gone. If you really want something gone forever, I suggest something along the lines of Darik's Boot And Nuke, to completely wipe the disk.

If you want to help with this project, drop me a line, and I'll give you instructions and/or encouragement. You'll also get a line in the about box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Shredder-new file deletion application.

Thanks, It looks useful.
    I tried to shred some hidden files but I am not sure how to use your program to add hidden files. Would it be possible to have Shredder as an option when you right click files?
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

hakermania is offline Τώρα ξέρεις τι γράφω εδώ!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Nice It works fine here. Pardon me for taking action and compiling it for 32-bit version (quite improvised because I was missing your debian folder, but the deb installs and runs just fine)

32-bit Deb attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by hakermania; October 6th, 2012 at 02:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I see it is possible to drag files into Shredder which solves my issue with Hidden files.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    Thanks, It looks useful.
    I tried to shred some hidden files but I am not sure how to use your program to add hidden files. Would it be possible to have Shredder as an option when you right click files?
    Well, you solved it for yourself, but you can press Ctrl-H while in the file browser.

Quote Originally Posted by hakermania View Post
    Nice It works fine here. Pardon me for taking action and compiling it for 32-bit version (quite improvised because I was missing your debian folder, but the deb installs and runs just fine)

32-bit Deb attached.
    Thanks! Duh, I should have attached the zipped debian folder, but you seem to have managed okay.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    I see it is possible to drag files into Shredder which solves my issue with Hidden files.

Beans

I have a copy file shredder tool called Kernel for File Shredder, It completely delete files so that even a data recovery tool is not able to find a trace of the file. You can choose the algorithm according to which you want to shred files.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by glad581 View Post
    I have a copy file shredder tool called Kernel for File Shredder, It completely delete files so that even a data recovery tool is not able to find a trace of the file. You can choose the algorithm according to which you want to shred files.
    Maybe we can collaborate?

I find it unlikely that "even a data recovery tool" can't find the data-shredder makes it extremely difficult, but if you use a filesystem like Btrfs, it takes snapshots anyway. Are you using the kernel to directly manipulate the filesystem?

EDIT: Unless mistaken, you're referring to this one: http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/k...-shredder.html - it's a Windows application.