Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improve sound quality for a Windows guest

Beans

Re: Improve sound quality for a Windows guest

Quote Originally Posted by kow777 View Post
    Do you have this issue with any other OS? Maybe it is just Windows being weird, as it tends to be sometimes.
    I would try to decrease the number of "cores" the VM has. Try setting it to four.
    Reducing the number of cores worked! So far allocating only one core seems to do the job well, and the audio isn't glitchy anymore. Thank you!

Also, reducing the cores to one changed my Windows Experience Index so that the graphics are now 4.8, and gaming graphics are now 2.3.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold1995 View Post
    Reducing the number of cores worked! So far allocating only one core seems to do the job well, and the audio isn't glitchy anymore. Thank you!

Also, reducing the cores to one changed my Windows Experience Index so that the graphics are now 4.8, and gaming graphics are now 2.3.
    Since your CPU is a quad core with 4 hyperthreads, I wouldn't allocate that many cores to any one machine. I am sure that you could use 4 cores just fine.
    Last edited by kow777; October 17th, 2012 at 07:13 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kow777 View Post
    Since your CPU is a quad core with 4 hyperthreads, I wouldn't allocate that many core to any one machine. I am sure that you could use 4 cores just fine.
    Yeah, you're right. I wasn't aware of the purpose of making multiple cores available to the virtualized OS, I thought it was just to allow the guest to use 100% of the CPU, and I didn't know of the overhead it caused. Currently using one core works just fine, and I'm not making use of any programs in Windows that benefit enough from being multi-threaded for me to enable multiple cores.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12