Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xampp download

Beans

xampp download

I am trying to download xampp on my wubi ubuntu partition on my windows machine and after I downloaded it and am following the instructions here http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html to install it with commands in the terminal I am getting an error saying saying that it cannot open the file and there is no such file in the directory. The file is in the downloads folder, the instructions didn't tell me to move it anywhere else so I would assume that is where I am supposed to have it. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: xampp download

Hi AllenMc.

I would recommend installing the LAMP stack instead. It is already pre packaged for Ubuntu, and it is in the repositories, so no hassles to install it, and get it working.

Take a look at this tutorial for details.

Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi AllenMc.

I would recommend installing the LAMP stack instead.
    +1. This is much easier, and you'll get automatic updates.

Beans

I downloaded and installed LAMP and it was much easier and seems to have worked. But I dont have permission to save files or create folders or anything in var/www

can either of you tell me a way to change this?

Beans

Never mind. The instructions suggested using
    $ sudo nautilus
    and the 1st time I did it it didn't work but I must have typed something wrong and not noticed because I just tried again and it worked fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by AllenMc View Post
    Never mind. The instructions suggested using
    $ sudo nautilus
    and the 1st time I did it it didn't work but I must have typed something wrong and not noticed because I just tried again and it worked fine.
    You shouldn't use sudo with graphical applications. Take a look at this thorough explanation of why:
    Running Sudo Graphically
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory response.

Beans

Oh wow thanks. I would of never known that. If I just redo the same command with gksudo instead will that override the previous sudo command and I wont have any problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    hi allenmc.

I would recommend installing the lamp stack instead. It is already pre packaged for ubuntu, and it is in the repositories, so no hassles to install it, and get it working.

Take a look at this tutorial for details.

Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.
    +1
    I don' really like coffee. I guess I'll give my Ubuntu beans to my wife.

Luke

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by AllenMc View Post
    Oh wow thanks. I would of never known that. If I just redo the same command with gksudo instead will that override the previous sudo command and I wont have any problems?
    That's not point.
    sudo doesn't load root your (i.e. the user's) environment variables for graphical applications. This means that when you launch a graphical application with sudo you are running it with root's permissions but using your normal user's settings and configuration files.
    Depending on the program you run this can result in your normal user's configuration files becoming owned by root, which will prevent the normal user from changing program settings any more.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory response.

Beans

Oh ok so I was able to add files and folders and edit them right after I ran the command but later when I go back I might not be able to? Because they are owned by root still, so I wouldn't have writing permissions. So next time I log into Ubuntu I should redo the command but with gksudo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast