Thread: Mythtv 0.26 and UTC

Beans
    Hidden!

Mythtv 0.26 and UTC

The wiki states
    The conversion to UTC requires significant changes to the database, and may be problematic for some users. MythTV will automatically attempt to perform a database backup before any schema update, storing the dump to the current user's home directory, or any storage path MythTV has been informed of, so that if anything goes wrong in the process, the database can be rolled back to the previous functional state. If MythTV cannot find anywhere with write access to store the backup, it will proceed with the update anyway, so users may want to perform their own periodic backups just to be safe. Refer to Database_Backup_and_Restore#Quick_Start for more information.
    I was wondering, might the change upset the scripts I use that automatically put my mythbuntu backend to sleep and wake it as required?

Thanks
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.

Beans

Re: Mythtv 0.26 and UTC

Quote Originally Posted by GuiGuy View Post
    The wiki states

I was wondering, might the change upset the scripts I use that automatically put my mythbuntu backend to sleep and wake it as required?

Thanks
    Probably more a dev question, you may get a better response on the mailing list.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    Probably more a dev question, you may get a better response on the mailing list.
    Thanks. I killed my subscription a while back; too much information

But you're probably right.

Cheers
    The GuiGuy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Couple months ago (?) I added the UTC timezone stuff into mysql.
    At that moment was still using mythtv0.25+fixes on lucid..

Caused no problems with recordings or auto shutdown/RTC-alarm wakeup..

Some aussie users revealed a couple of weird bugs due to their timezone offset..

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by BicyclerBoy View Post
    Couple months ago (?) I added the UTC timezone stuff into mysql.
    At that moment was still using mythtv0.25+fixes on lucid..

Caused no problems with recordings or auto shutdown/RTC-alarm wakeup..

Some aussie users revealed a couple of weird bugs due to their timezone offset..
    Thanks. I'm going to image the installation onto a spare HDD and then to the move. Just in case...

Cheers
    The GuiGuy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There are 2 parts to this 0.26 UTC & I don't see any need to change 2 different components at the same time.

The UTC timezone tables are required to be added to mysql.
    These TZ tables/installer are not new & afaik have been available as option for years (for mysql).

It is the mythtv schema mythconverg that is irreversibly changed (as usual) by myth upgrades.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BicyclerBoy View Post
    There are 2 parts to this 0.26 UTC & I don't see any need to change 2 different components at the same time.

The UTC timezone tables are required to be added to mysql.
    These TZ tables/installer are not new & afaik have been available as option for years (for mysql).

It is the mythtv schema mythconverg that is irreversibly changed (as usual) by myth upgrades.
    That's right adding the TZ tables to mysql will not do anything to an 0.25 system. The tables only tell mysql about the differences between timezones.

When you upgrade to 0.26 nysql will use thse TZ tables to alter all the times in your database to UTC intead of localtime. That is the danger point, if something goes wrong.