Thread: Samba Permissions

Beans

Samba Permissions

I go to Seaside High School and in my computer repair class we are trying set up a ubuntu server. It is accessible to everybody plugged into the network but we want to make it so that everybody has permissions, so one person can save something to the folder and nobody else could access that but the creator and the administrator.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Samba Permissions

you have to make some changes in your smb.conf file. suppose if you want to create a share named "Home" with read write access to user account administrator and paul add this line under your share definition "Home"
    Code:
    write list = administrator, pual
    for read only access add this line under the same share.
    Code:
    read list = john, jack

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by cybercity@localhost View Post
    you have to make some changes in your smb.conf file. suppose if you want to create a share named "Home" with read write access to user account administrator and paul add this line under your share definition "Home"
    Code:
    write list = administrator, pual
    for read only access add this line under the same share.
    Code:
    read list = john, jack
    There already is a [homes] directory defined in the smb.conf file. You just have to uncomment it. It is only defined once. All Samba users are provided there own home directory on the Samba host server. The root user always has access via sudo in Ubuntu.

See Code Listing 1.4: Sharing multiple homes in this documentation.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by StrutServer View Post
    I go to Seaside High School and in my computer repair class we are trying set up a ubuntu server. It is accessible to everybody plugged into the network but we want to make it so that everybody has permissions, so one person can save something to the folder and nobody else could access that but the creator and the administrator.
    Use the [homes] share for this. See the previous post.
    -BAB1