Thread: Cant see wifi

Beans

Cant see wifi

I just installed xubuntu 12.04 on my dell inspiron 1501 laptop. Additional Drivers recommended the Broadcom STA wireless driver, so I installed it but it still doesnt see my wifi network. How do I fix this?

Beans

Re: Cant see wifi

any ideas? i read the sticky but it still isnt working.

Beans

Okay, I think the problem is that my wifi card is disabled. I can see that the "wifi" light on the laptop isnt on. How do i turn on my wifi card and get the light to turn on? I dont dual boot windows and I have read all the literature on installing the drivers and everything pertaining to my wireless card (BCM 4311 14e4:4311) but I dont see anything about getting the light to turn on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Do you have a 'wifi switch' by any chance on your laptop?
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

solved.

I am going to install the correct driver for this wireless card. Then I will remove the “incorrect” driver (bcmwl) which Ubuntu installed by default.

$ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
    $ sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-source
    $ sudo reboot
    Last edited by douggiephresh; October 15th, 2012 at 05:56 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by douggiephresh View Post
    Okay, I think the problem is that my wifi card is disabled. I can see that the "wifi" light on the laptop isnt on. How do i turn on my wifi card and get the light to turn on? I dont dual boot windows and I have read all the literature on installing the drivers and everything pertaining to my wireless card (BCM 4311 14e4:4311) but I dont see anything about getting the light to turn on.

Post two here will solve your problems unless we have to remove any blacklists of b43 that were created by using the STA driver.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1997880

You might also post the output of

sudo rfkill list all

so we can look for blockages.
    Last edited by bkratz; October 15th, 2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Yo solved it quicker than I can type!! Congratulations