Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: boot Ubuntu Server without monitor

Beans

Question boot Ubuntu Server without monitor

Good day to every one!!

I'm traing to boot Ubuntu without monitor, but when i disconnect monitor and power on server i can't connect to server, over ssh, even after 5 min. When monitor connected to server all works fine.

Can anybody help...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: boot Ubuntu Server without monitor

So to recap, with monitor can SSH to server, without monitor can't SSH
    Sounds like it is not booting fully and without a monitor you won't be able to see any errors. Can you ping the server when no monitor is connected? if again no I would say definitely not booting correctly

you could look at any logs in /var/log to see if you can see any boot errors apart from that don't really know what to suggest
    There's no place like ~/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Maybe you have a weird BIOS that won't boot without a monitor. Look in it and see if it is modifiable.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

It's probably not an Ubuntu problem. I run a headless server with no problems. Some machines, by default, will refuse to boot anything when a monitor and/or keyboard is missing. You can usually override that behavior by changing a setting in the BIOS setup. The location/name of the setting varies. You may have to poke around a bit to find it. Hope this helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by _Mark_ View Post
    So to recap, with monitor can SSH to server, without monitor can't SSH
    Sounds like it is not booting fully and without a monitor you won't be able to see any errors. Can you ping the server when no monitor is connected? if again no I would say definitely not booting correctly

you could look at any logs in /var/log to see if you can see any boot errors apart from that don't really know what to suggest
    Yes, i can ping when monitor is connecting and SSH to server.

About BIOS i don't find anything like boot without monitor, in settings, but i will try to find it again.

Beans

don't find anything in BIOS, can it be Grub problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

grub doesn't need a monitor.

Look in your BIOS for something like "HALT on all errors" and set that to something that sounds like "ignore errors re. monitor"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It sounds like it's a BIOS thing, yes. I've run a few machines headless without problems.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How do you connect: by hostname or by ip? Your server has a static ip ? Maybe there is a HDCP router on the network and your server gets a different ip every time it boots.

What is the firewall state on it ? Can you ping it ?

Beans

I concur, I have a desktop machine that I turned into a server, and I don't have a monitor, keyboard or mouse on it. Just a power cord and a LAN cable, and it works just fine if I send it a remote reboot request too.

When you say that the server works fine with the monitor, are you connecting the monitor and then going to a different computer to connect, or do you only have one monitor and start using the server after you put the monitor on it?

How long are you waiting before attempting to connect to the server? Do you have SSH installed an enabled? Did you install a firewall that is blocking your SSH port?

When you're on the server, can it SSH into itself? Use this command to see if you can:
    ssh localhost
    http://www.honorknightsofazeroth.com
    This is my WoW guild on the Scilla server for the Horde. Feel free to join us. We're an open Social/Family type guild.............. NM, the guild died.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast