Thread: offline chinese popup dictionary

Beans

offline chinese popup dictionary

I am learning Mandarin. I was wondering if there is a program for Ubuntu that can provide English to Chinese popup translations (even better if it can do Chinese to English as well).

A dictionary with pinyin and pronunciations would be great.

I checked out stardict. It provides pinyin when you translate from Chinese to English, but not when you translate from English to Chinese.

Any recommendations?

Beans

Re: offline chinese popup dictionary

Sad to see this question with no answer. I'm facing the exact same issue, so a little bump is in order.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'll bump too, even though Mandarin is my 3rd language, not second.

In the same vein, I could use this for Japanese, as well.

Beans

most programs are for Chinese-->English (eg DimSum).

Wenlin is a windows program but it runs under wine and will do english to chinese with pinyin. (from memory it doesn't have a pop up for the definition, but the definition appears at the bottom of the screen when you hover the mouse over the word so pretty much the same thing)

not sure if there are any offline dictionaries besides stardict that do pop-up translations

for online study, it might be worth checking out some of the firefox or chrome plugins, they might offer some of the functionality that you're looking for.

Beans

http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php
    try this
    this is not an exact solution but it,ll at least try to fulfil learner,s basic need

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.