Thread: problem with upgrading 11.04 to 12.04 LTS

Beans

problem with upgrading 11.04 to 12.04 LTS

yesterday we were upgrading an 11.04 ubuntu pc to 12.04 and it took so much time..while on the process, i shut the computer down because we have to go home..(the pc that we were upgrading is a school property)..i didn't see any "cancel" button on the screen so i just shut the computer down..

later this morning, when we opened the pc, the background is just black,it has a computer icon in the center of the monitor and and "x" button on the upper right corner.. what should we do?? help!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: problem with upgrading 11.04 to 12.04 LTS

NEVER switch a machine off while you are upgrading. Machine's probably irretrievable (or it's going to take some work). I wasn't aware you could upgrade from 11.04 to 12.04. Thought it had to be 10.04 or 11.10.

Anyway, I would say you're fairly stuffed. A fresh install of 12.04 LTS is quickest and easiest and your best bet. Unless someone pipes up with a miracle cure.

Beans

so what about the computer?? is it completely irretrievable??
    anyway, thanks for the reply..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Fresh install is the best way , as Bucky Ball suggested. Create a Cd/Dvd of Ubuntu 12.04.1 and boot from this Cd/Dvd , if you want and if you can, copy any important data on a external HDD , do it . Then proceed with a fresh installation.

The other option is to upgrade (again) from this LiveCd/Dvd you create. You will see the option to Upgrade. But again , I bet on fresh install for better results.

Thanks

Beans

thanks for the reply..how long will it take to do the fresh installation??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Slightly depending on your machine, but half an hour or so. Do not connect it to the internet as it might try to retrieve the latest versions of the packages during the install which will make it take far longer; personally I rather update to the latest packages afterwards.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jcka005 View Post
    ..how long will it take to do the fresh installation??
    Lot quicker than an upgrade and a lot more reliable and stable. The upgrade path can sometimes be a little problematic. I've had most luck going from LTS release to LTS release.

Good luck with the new install and if you have any probs make sure to post a new thread in Installations and Upgrades sub-forum.

Beans

thanks Wim Sturkenboom...
    and Bucky Ball for the replies..
    i'll let you know if it worked.. Godbless