Thread: I get the impression I am not welcome here, I dont think I have enough beans yet

Beans

Lightbulb I get the impression I am not welcome here, I dont think I have enough beans yet

I guess I am the wrong kind of newbie, Will try to find a blog someplace else

Thanks anyway

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: I get the impression I am not welcome here, I dont think I have enough beans yet

All but two of your posts are within the last 24 hours. It may be that those with just the answers you seek have not seen your posts yet.

Remember that we are all volunteers, come here as we have time and live all around the globe.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Wink Re: I get the impression I am not welcome here, I dont think I have enough beans yet

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    All but two of your posts are within the last 24 hours. It may be that those with just the answers you seek have not seen your posts yet.

Remember that we are all volunteers, come here as we have time and live all around the globe.
    Thanks for the acknowledgment, Its not that I did not understand that the volunteers here have a daunting task I was just surprised I was not getting any response at all such as hey we will get back to you as soon as we can, or hang in there, I just see that several people have read the thread and gone about their business.

I am just very frustrated with this nightmare pile of clients and a server I just rebuilt for a customer and they are asking questions I cant answer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: I get the impression I am not welcome here, I dont think I have enough beans yet

If you look at the view of other threads in comparison to your own you may see that the number of posts compared to the views is much smaller. Generally it takes many more views to start generating posts. In the threads I have posted I have received around 60+ views before I get any responses at all. To me, several means 7. To me, 7 views on a thread means no one. There are thousands of members of these forums. Much fewer, under 100 or in the hundreds regularly contribute.

Also, posts such as "I will post here later." without any constructive material are discouraged to my knowledge. The idea of the forum is support, so If a post isn't supportive, for example helping solve the problem, that post is not helpful or relevant.

These forums are not a lifeline. It is not something you come to when everything else has failed and you have minutes left to find the answer. They are something to come to if everything has failed and you want an answer. It is often not as timely as you would like. I posted a thread here about a week ago. I still don't have a reply to it. If people don't know the answer they might not post.

Beans are not they way of telling who is and who is not welcome. Being professional is. If a user has 1 post and their post is easy to understand and they are considerate and helpful to finding the solution to their problem, they will be helped. If someone posts and does not compose an intelligible message, or is overly impatient, they will often not be helped as well as the first user.

Don't take this as me trying to bash you or anything like that. I am only trying to help you understand. It seems from what I see in the above post that you have been impatient. It is not uncommon for it to take at least 24 hours for someone to post in your thread. And if you don't get a post you can bump it to the top (after 24 hours).

I hope you find a solution to your issues,

Kopkins

Beans

Wink Re: I get the impression I am not welcome here, I dont think I have enough beans yet

Quote Originally Posted by Kopkins View Post
    If you look at the view of other threads in comparison to your own you may see that the number of posts compared to the views is much smaller. Generally it takes many more views to start generating posts. In the threads I have posted I have received around 60+ views before I get any responses at all. To me, several means 7. To me, 7 views on a thread means no one. There are thousands of members of these forums. Much fewer, under 100 or in the hundreds regularly contribute.

Also, posts such as "I will post here later." without any constructive material are discouraged to my knowledge. The idea of the forum is support, so If a post isn't supportive, for example helping solve the problem, that post is not helpful or relevant.

These forums are not a lifeline. It is not something you come to when everything else has failed and you have minutes left to find the answer. They are something to come to if everything has failed and you want an answer. It is often not as timely as you would like. I posted a thread here about a week ago. I still don't have a reply to it. If people don't know the answer they might not post.

Beans are not they way of telling who is and who is not welcome. Being professional is. If a user has 1 post and their post is easy to understand and they are considerate and helpful to finding the solution to their problem, they will be helped. If someone posts and does not compose an intelligible message, or is overly impatient, they will often not be helped as well as the first user.

Don't take this as me trying to bash you or anything like that. I am only trying to help you understand. It seems from what I see in the above post that you have been impatient. It is not uncommon for it to take at least 24 hours for someone to post in your thread. And if you don't get a post you can bump it to the top (after 24 hours).

I hope you find a solution to your issues,

Kopkins
    Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Moved to Forum Feedback & Help.