Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft face another fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Microsoft face another fine.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-faces...23/?s_cid=e550

Am I the only person who sees this as "excessive"? I mean, you don't go into Burger King and expect them to show you the Mcdonald's menu? Why should Microsoft be required to show you a product that isn't theirs? What, should they also have to include Libreoffice and OpenOffice as alternatives? Should they also include every text editor known to man? Where does this end?

I get that Microsoft has a major share of the computing world but it's up to the OEMs to debunk that, not Microsoft.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans

Re: Microsoft sued by Europe for not providing "Browser Choice"

Best way to describe this: mid '90s all over again. lol

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
    Am I the only person who sees this as "excessive"? I mean, you don't go into Burger King and expect them to show you the Mcdonald's menu?
    Burger King doesn't have a near monopoly.
    Burger King doesn't give you their own cola for free with the burger, thereby discouraging you to buy another brand of cola.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What, should they also have to include Libreoffice and OpenOffice as alternatives? Should they also include every text editor known to man? Where does this end?
    That would be nice, actually. Might make me consider "upgrading" to Windows $VERSION or whatever.

My question is: What's stopping them from providing choices? Isn't having more choice a better thing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Statia View Post
    Burger King doesn't have a near monopoly.
    Burger King doesn't give you their own cola for free with the burger, thereby discouraging you to buy another brand of cola.
    But would we punish them b/c of it? No, we'd just stop going there or bring in our own. If they didn't allow us to bring in our own, that would be a problem. Windows allows you to bring in your own.

Quote Originally Posted by rai4shu2 View Post
    That would be nice, actually. Might make me consider "upgrading" to Windows $VERSION or whatever.

My question is: What's stopping them from providing choices? Isn't having more choice a better thing?
    So how big exactly should their distrobution CDs be?
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans

Yeah i think PC's should just come with OS choice, you boot and you select from popular OS'. (PCBSD, fedora, ubuntu and windows perhaps.) and then it just installs the one you select

Well i'd like to see that instead of just browser choice. Also perhaps with windows 8 having an app store (finnally) they can install chrome[ium] as easily as in ubuntu.

But to be honest microsoft are doing worse with UEFI bios security and stuff like that, surprised they aren't getting sued for that.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So it's OK for Apple to restrict browser choice on the iPhone, iPad and IPod Touch, but Microsoft can't? If I were Microsoft, I would be quick to accuse the Europeans of blatant hypocrisy.

Beans

I think companies know better what their own legal position is. It's not that they don't appeal all the way when they think they have a chance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    So it's OK for Apple to restrict browser choice on the iPhone, iPad and IPod Touch, but Microsoft can't? If I were Microsoft, I would be quick to accuse the Europeans of blatant hypocrisy.
    Apple is just the 'little guy' remember? Or maybe they're too 'cool' and all the politicians are rocking iPhones...

Yes, of course it's blatant hypocrisy. Oh well, maybe after MS then they can deal with Apple too...

Edit - as an aside, have the hipsters invaded Europe yet? Or are euros still rocking faux-hawk-mullets listening to techno?
    Last edited by Mikeb85; October 5th, 2012 at 02:45 AM.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So how big exactly should their distrobution CDs be?
    As big as Debian? Now, that would be cool. Imagine you could have most of the freely available software for Windows all on a small USB flash drive. They could charge a nominal fee (like $25 for 16 GB or $40 for 32 GB). With the way flash drives keep getting bigger and cheaper, they could get some ridiculous amounts of software, too.

Jeez, that would be too cool. Too bad, Microsoft is always so behind the curve in that department.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast