Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems updating UE Ubuntu - Partial Update only?

Beans

Problems updating UE Ubuntu - Partial Update only?

Hello forum
    I recently had an issue with my automatic updates. The update manager was unable to do a full "security update" and as such, only a partial update was attempted. However, it appears that this has caused the UM to get stuck in an endless loop.
    Obviously, re-booting the machine would break the loop but, I wanted to run this issue by the Ubuntu Forum before I re-booted the computer and tried the update again.

HTML Code:
    I ran sudo apt-get update from the Terminal and the following is the result:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
    I suspect that the reason for these errors are because Update Manager is currently stuck in some kind of a loop and therefore using the process necessary for the attempt.

This is a screenshot of the current progress; this has been going on now for more than 24 hours.
    Screenshot at 2012-10-04 09:58:06.png
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by patriot56; October 4th, 2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Correct a grammatical and spelling error.

Beans

Re: Problems updating UE Ubuntu - Partial Update only?

Perhaps this post belongs in another thread? Maybe that's why it is being ignored?
    At the time of this writing (3 days after the OP) there are 38 moderators online and still I am not getting a response....c'mon guys, give me something, please!!!
    I need an answer to this problem.
    I posted this question 3 days ago and as yet, have not gotten a single response.
    That has never happened to me before on this Forum!
    I have to admit I am a little disenchanted.

If my question/problem is trivial please just say so.

Kindest Regards

Beans
    Hidden!

In your first post:

"another process using it?"

Do you have more than one package manager open? Maybe the software center
    open twice. Or trying to do a terminal update with the SC open ?
    You can have just one open at a time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by patriot56 View Post
    Perhaps this post belongs in another thread? Maybe that's why it is being ignored?
    Nope. And it's not being ignored. People are looking but obviously don't have the answers or they'd be posting.

At the time of this writing (3 days after the OP) there are 38 moderators online and still I am not getting a response....c'mon guys, give me something, please!!!
    Repeat: If someone had something to add, moderator or otherwise (and we look at lots of posts), they would add it.

I posted this question 3 days ago and as yet, have not gotten a single response.
    Everybody that posts in the support section needs an answer. I have posted a thread and dribbled on to myself for a week seemingly unnoticed. In the process of talking to myself here I generally fix it. Don't let it get to you. It happens.

NO question posted on these forums is considered trivial by staff or users, even the spam!

This forum is staffed by volunteers and populated by users who are here by choice. Consequently, sometimes the plan works out, other times, like this at the moment, not. But at least jerrys and I have bumped the thread to the top of the queue so who knows. If you haven't had any attention for twenty four hours (any sooner is discouraged) give your post a simple bump by posting:

bump
    That's all you need do.

One vital piece of info ... what release are you using? I'm wondering if it might be unsupported therefore the error.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 8th, 2012 at 01:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Kindest Regards
    I seriously doubt - and am in fact positive - that you have not seen 38 staff members online. You might see a list with 38 staff members at the bottom of forums - they aren't all online

First I have no idea what UE is?

It also appears that you're running a distribution upgrade - from and to what?

Lastly - you also appear to be in the midst of a partial upgrade - this is rarely a good idea.

What's the state of play with it now - the screenshot is from 3 days ago?

Beans
    Hidden!

If no updates are currently running, enter this command to remove the lock.
    Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
    Then update and upgrade again.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Post any errors. If you have a partial upgrade you will need to remove some more files.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; October 8th, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

First, let me do a little groveling...I owe the Forum at least that, along with a sincere apology.
    At the time of my last post, I was extremely frustrated with this problem. I am under some pressure to present a Linux distribution that has all the "bells-and-whistles" (Ultimate Edition 3,2) and up until just recently I thought I had found it.
    You (the Forum volunteers) did not deserve that last post. You guys are the best there are, and I mean that sincerely. So PLEASE accept my sincerest apology.
    Now, to address each comment as best I can.
    In an effort to keep this post short I will attempt to answer each response in this post.

The partial update state has not changed as yet, in fact I just received another "partial update notice" just about an hour ago. I cancelled it.
    There are no other processes running (that I'm aware of anyhow) that would prevent the update from continuing.

I ran
    sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
    sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
    as instructed and this is the results:
    (of course I only included the warnings) should you need the entire output, please let me know. I withheld it because it is so lengthy.
    sudo apt-get update gave these warnings

W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-security/restricted i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric-security_restricted_binary-i386_Packages)
    W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-security/main i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric-security_main_binary-i386_Packages)
    W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-security/multiverse i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric-security_multiverse_binary-i386_Packages)
    W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-security/universe i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_oneiric-security_universe_binary-i386_Packages)
    W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

sudo apt-get upgrade gave the following:

Fetched 20.8 MB in 33s (629 kB/s)
    Failed to fetch http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/...iric1_i386.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.191 80]
    Failed to fetch http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/...iric1_i386.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.191 80]
    E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

As I mentioned above, this is Ultimate Edition 3.2. It has performed flawlessly until about 2-2 1/2 weeks ago. That's when I first noticed this issue.
    Before posting to the Forum I searched through about 12-15 pages of posts here and found nothing that looked like what I'm experiencing now.

Thank you all again, and again please accept a humble apology for allowing my frustration to spill over into my last post.

Sincerely,
    patriot56

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    I seriously doubt - and am in fact positive - that you have not seen 38 staff members online. You might see a list with 38 staff members at the bottom of forums - they aren't all online

First I have no idea what UE is?

It also appears that you're running a distribution upgrade - from and to what?

Lastly - you also appear to be in the midst of a partial upgrade - this is rarely a good idea.

What's the state of play with it now - the screenshot is from 3 days ago?
    Elfy, I felt obligated to respond to your post regarding the inappropriate statement that I made about "seeing 38 moderators online". You are rite of course.
    If I would have just stopped and taken a breath, I probably would have never made that comment, or, for that matter, not even made the post.
    My apologies.
    You and the rest of the volunteers here are exceptional.
    Ever say something that you wish you could take back?
    Guess what? I'm there!

By the way, the situation hasn't changed except that I'm not accepting the partial upgrades anymore.
    And UE stands for Ultimate Edition....as I understand it, it is built on (or is) Oneiric, only with a lot of stuff added to it. Hence, the Bells-and-Whistles I mentioned in my previous post.
    In fact when I do a uname -a that's exactly what I see.
    I hope this helps

Beans
    Hidden!

Ultimate Edition; didn't know that either or I would not of responded. Just because I tend to support ubuntu and its official spins. Anyhow im here so in terminal:

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf

sudo apt-get update

If it still gives you duplicate sources.list errors, please post the output of:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm glad lock is gone. Now we have something to work with to solve your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrrys View Post
    If it still gives you duplicate sources.list errors, please post the output of:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    I have a feeling we are going to eventually be telling the OP how to edit the sources.list file.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; October 9th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast