Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth doing a clean install of 12.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Is it worth doing a clean install of 12.04?

Hi forum,
    Just wondering if there were any disadvantages to the "upgrade" feature in ubuntu. As 12.04 comes out tomorrow and I plan to have it as my OS for the next couple of years, I wondered if it would be more stable, etc.. if I did a clean install rather than using the upgrade feature. I upgraded my 11.10 from natty with no major problems.
    Live long and prosper
    Registered Ubuntu user #34794
    Registered Linux user #551518

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is it worth doing a clean install of 12.04?

I choose to do a fresh install at all possible times. Everyone has their preference but clean seems to always
    be better than 1000 packages upgraded. If you always have a /home in own partition and a maybe 10 gig size for the / it is just so much easier to not mess with /home everytime you want to do a fresh install.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:
    http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html
    Main Page -

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ok thx. Being as i plan to keep this as my distro for the rest of the LTS cycle it's probably a good idea.
    Registered Ubuntu user #34794
    Registered Linux user #551518

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have an upgrade and its fine it is 12.04 the same as any fresh install though I know many who say a clean install if you have nothing to lose is better ..

the upgrade is in ways a bit more challenging I learned a lot about ubuntu through going that way ...

there is no differences in the install weather you install clean or you update its still the same million updates and patches the difference for all using the beta is more like watching the picture Image develop over time

Beans

I have always done a clean install because it makes me feel like I am doing spring cleaning and having a fresh start.

Although I went really fresh this time and I am using Fedora 17 .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    I have always done a clean install because it makes me feel like I am doing spring cleaning and having a fresh start.
    Same here.

A few years ago I took the time to make a separate partition for Home, and now doing clean installs is a breeze.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rg4w View Post
    Same here.

A few years ago I took the time to make a separate partition for Home, and now doing clean installs is a breeze.
    Fresh installs are my recommendation as well, something like this:

http://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2012...cise-pangolin/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

One nice reason for a fresh install is time. Upgrades take far longer than a fresh install and it's pretty easy to copy your files to a USB drive, then copy them back to the fresh install. Literally a savings of hours of time for the machine to run an upgrade versus fresh install. Either way, have a copy you can install in case the upgrade borks...just my recommendation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Agree with everyone here. The reasons already stated are all excellent. I also learn something new with each install.
    - Frank

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TBABill View Post
    One nice reason for a fresh install is time. Upgrades take far longer than a fresh install and it's pretty easy to copy your files to a USB drive, then copy them back to the fresh install. Literally a savings of hours of time for the machine to run an upgrade versus fresh install. Either way, have a copy you can install in case the upgrade borks...just my recommendation.
    Then after you get everything installed on your freshly installed Ubuntu OS use Remastersys to take a snapshot of that, and migrate it to a USB Flash Thumb Drive to use as a resque live stick to reinstall if needed.

Here is how to install Remastersys in Ubuntu 12.04:

http://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2012...-in-ubuntu-os/

I use it daily to do freshly fully pre-loaded installs of 12.04.

I'm surprised more users don't try it. A reinstall only takes 20 minutes when you use Remastersys, and that includes codecs, plugins, everything you added to your custom system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast