Thread: HW Support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Lightbulb HW Support

Need help regarding installation of Ubuntu 12.04 64bit, my system HW list below Compatible or not.

AMD
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H
    Processor Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition Revision DR-B3
    RAM DDR2 4GB Corsair
    SSD OCZ Agility 3 60GB

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: HW Support

You have actually shown the parts of the system that have the least probability of difficulties with a linux OS. The more important bits as far as most Linux OS compatibility is concerned are the graphic card and, if there is one, the wireless adapter card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    You have actually shown the parts of the system that have the least probability of difficulties with a linux OS. The more important bits as far as most Linux OS compatibility is concerned are the graphic card and, if there is one, the wireless adapter card.
    You mean my Hardware fully compatible with ubuntu 12.04 64BIT. i'm not going to use any Graphic card and WireLess LAN Card.

In this Board ATI Radeon HD 3300

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

OK, I think that card is fully supported by the ATI/radeon open source driver; it certainly is listed in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks for quick reply will install and let you know, One more question what i heard SSD performance Drops after some days when SSD get 30% Full is that TRUE?

Beans

Hi,

SSDs do have a tendency to get slower over time as they fill with data. Modern SSDs and the Ubuntu kernel support the TRIM command that can help combat this. TRIM support needs to be manually enabled after installing Ubuntu by modifying the mount parameters of the partitions on the SSD to include the discard option. The page here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/18903/how-to-enable-trim describes how to enable TRIM support in Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ok then no issue from SSD because installing on OCZ Agility 3 60 GB SSD (AGT3-25SAT3-60G)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Rather than FORCE the installation, you would do better booting from an Ubuntu LiveCD/LiveUSB and selecting the Try Ubuntu mode.

Once you get to a desktop, you can then see how well Ubuntu detected your hardware and installed all the proper drivers.

This way, if something did not work, you have a chance to find resolutions to that before you force and install and end up with a nonworking system.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.