Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 seems buggy...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 seems buggy...

I will post here since this is the most suitable thread for such discussion. Anyone noticed that 12.10 became resource hungry with the latest updates? Alpha 2 was flying on my computer, but beta2 is not so fast. Since there was a ton of updates from Alpha to beta, can this be the problem?

Regards.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDanton View Post
    I will post here since this is the most suitable thread for such discussion. Anyone noticed that 12.10 became resource hungry with the latest updates? Alpha 2 was flying on my computer, but beta2 is not so fast. Since there was a ton of updates from Alpha to beta, can this be the problem?

Regards.
    The latest xorg update is pretty slow on mine as well.. just give it a few weeks there's updates to xorg all the time.

Beans
    Distro

Just curious...i have ubuntu 12.10 beta 2 currently installed...i was thinking about doing a fresh re-install when it goes to "final" on the 18th...
    however:

I was wondering, aside from just rolling into the final (as a result of all the updates that are coming in) will the update manager in 12.10 also give you the option of "upgrading" to the final release as well?

And if you can do an upgrade...is it usually best to roll into it, do an upgrade, or a fresh re-install of the final?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I just did a fresh install using the Oct 6 2012 daily live iso, I find that after a while, the install gets crufty, so I intend to do a fresh install of the released version. I found this fresh install to be much faster, than the Beta 1 install that I've upgraded over the past few weeks.

Beans
    Distro

I suspected it might be better to re-install...there has been so many updates even since i put on the beta 2...think i will likely want to re-install when the final gets released next week...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For some unfortunate reason, Many Ubuntu upgrades in recent years, they turned up buggy.

At least, I have learned my lesson (lol), wait a month or even two, after the official date of release, when (hopefully) the initial bugs are fix - then upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I think it is easy to forget that 12.04 has had SIX MONTHS of updates and 12.10 is in beta 2 (not even in final release until the 18th) and most of the past 6 months was spent adding various refinements and features and only now are the various bugs from debian testing and ubuntu are getting smoothed out and fixed....

In a month or two 12.10 should be just as stable as 12.04 is...so it's really more a matter of whether you want the new features of 12.10...i do, so i have been running beta 2 and plan to do a clean re-install upon final release...
    Many long time (and loyal) users of Ubuntu have been wondering as to the wisdom of "new release every 6 months".

maybe it is best, change it to every 12 months. That is, finish the development in 6 -9 months. Run extensive Beta for the next months - then release the new upgrade.

Another way to mitigate the bug issue is, to develope more elaborate and invasive GUI based dignostic tools which could help new users and other GUI (KDE & GNOME, etc) guys run these test and have a better chance of recovery.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I really have only two issues left with Quantal.

1. AMD/ATI hasn't released their 12.10 driver to the Ubuntu repo -- and the 12.9 "Ubuntu preview" Beta still leaves artifacts all over.

2. Where the heck is cube deformation in the Compiz plugins?

I have had so few problems -- at least not ones that others have reported first -- that I feel a bit silly being on the U + 1 team.
    The cube deformation is no longer a default plugin; they're looking for developers interested in maintaining it.

The cube is still available if you install the compiz-plugins package.
    Last edited by thatguruguy; October 9th, 2012 at 01:33 AM.
    If you are asking about a problem with your system, make sure to give details about your setup. OTHERWISE, NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by user_linux08 View Post
    Many long time (and loyal) users of Ubuntu have been wondering as to the wisdom of "new release every 6 months".

maybe it is best, change it to every 12 months. That is, finish the development in 6 -9 months. Run extensive Beta for the next months - then release the new upgrade.

Another way to mitigate the bug issue is, to develope more elaborate and invasive GUI based dignostic tools which could help new users and other GUI (KDE & GNOME, etc) guys run these test and have a better chance of recovery.
    You're posting in the wrong place and to the wrong audience, Most of us here are ready and waiting to start testing the next version, as soon as one is released. If you don't like the 6 month release cycle, it would be better for you to stick with the LTS releases, and upgrade every two years.

Keep in mind that the interim versions between LTS release are to test new features that will show up in the next LTS release. This method actually gives the developers four chances to get it right, or drop a feature completely before the final LTS release
    Last edited by cariboo907; October 9th, 2012 at 01:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    You're posting in the wrong place and to the wrong audience, Most of us here are ready and waiting to start testing the next version, as soon as one is released. If you don't like the 6 month release cycle, it would be better for you to stick with the LTS releases, and upgrade every two years.
    12.04 is good for 5 years and 10.04 (desktop not server) is good till April
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast