Thread: Wonderful world of web apps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wonderful world of web apps

Well, I might be a little late to the party, but I've discovered just how useful web apps have become. I used to use only native apps, but lately I've discovered how great web apps are, especially when it comes to syncing between Ubuntu, Windows, and Android.

I'm currently using Feedly, Google Docs/Drive/other services, Evernote Web, and a bunch of others.

Are there any web apps that others have found useful? What are you guys using?

As an aside, I didn't believe it before, but now I truly do believe that web apps are the future. As we get more and more fragmented between platforms (various Linux distros, Windows, OSX, iOS, Android, etc...), and as each of us uses more and more platforms, web apps will be the only way to truly connect all these devices.

So, what is everyone's favourite web app(s)?

Beans

Re: Wonderful world of web apps

I only use email web application and storage. I don't personally enjoy web apps as I feel they are somewhere a world away at all times. I love to feel my apps locally on my computer that's all. Also, I have a personal belief that web apps if they become dominant will make programs delivered as a service over the web. Meaning a fee each month rather than a fee sometimes or if one at all. That is my thoughts!
    Edit: I never have understood the web apps (I'm not that old). Also, funny is on my smartphone or a would be tablet I yearn for web apps rather than applications in reverse. Hehe, on the web want it not fragmented, offline want it in whole!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    Well, I might be a little late to the party, but I've discovered just how useful web apps have become. I used to use only native apps, but lately I've discovered how great web apps are, especially when it comes to syncing between Ubuntu, Windows, and Android.

I'm currently using Feedly, Google Docs/Drive/other services, Evernote Web, and a bunch of others.

Are there any web apps that others have found useful? What are you guys using?

As an aside, I didn't believe it before, but now I truly do believe that web apps are the future. As we get more and more fragmented between platforms (various Linux distros, Windows, OSX, iOS, Android, etc...), and as each of us uses more and more platforms, web apps will be the only way to truly connect all these devices.

So, what is everyone's favourite web app(s)?
    Last edited by linmick; October 4th, 2012 at 08:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If you're regularly using more than one device, web apps rawk. I love the way I can have the same data and the same interface effortlessly spread across my desktop, netbook, phone and any machine I jump on at work (even if I don't have admin rights on it).

Could not run my life without Gmail, Google Docs, Google Calendar and Remember the Milk.
    Last edited by Paqman; October 4th, 2012 at 10:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Should also mention, Microsoft Skydrive web app allows the creation, editing, and storage of Word, Excel, OneNote and PowerPoint apps. Very nice being able to use on Ubuntu. Doesn't have all the features of Office 2010, but useful.