Thread: Bring back the messenger pip!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Bring back the messenger pip!

I did not like the 'style' of the updated messenger indicator we have had for the last few weeks, but I did find the 'pip' that let you know your online status very useful. Would like to see the current/12.04 style with the pip going forward, though I realise how unlikely that is.
    Packard Bell Imedia S1800: Ubuntu 13.04 / Sony VGN-N31S: Lubuntu 13.04
    Blog / Twitter / G+

Beans

Re: Bring back the messenger pip!

you know what, emergence of message indicator is a signal indicating Unity is very ambitious. Ubuntu is trying to handle all the applications running in Unity, in a global way. That means all the app developers have to comply to the API standards ruled by Ubuntu. That's not good, due to the catastrophic taste of Ubuntu community on GUI designing. Colors, Shapes, Sizes, Locations, all challenge human tolerance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The message indicator itself is a very useful idea and helps to clean up the panel, moving your online status there away from the 'memenu' last cycle was also a useful step. No you are never going to satisfy everyone but there are options available for tweaking the general appearance. As for the pip, over the last few weeks I have grown accustomed to a quick glance up to see my status, especially as the Skype icon lives beside it. Now without the pip I am back to clicking to check.
    Blog / Twitter / G+

Beans

System environments should be separated from application settings. What you want could be handled by software itself. Unity panel is ugly, and the function is too rough, nearly useless. Either put it in a delicate way, like Windows7 taskbar, or just hand it to application's decision.

Ubuntu has wired taste. For example look at the notify-osd displaying, it shows in a wired position of screen, with wired size, wired behavior, and wrong duration time.
    It sucks. Come on Ubuntu, have you ever see how Windows7 operates it's notifications ?

But Ubuntu doesn't care about this. They just never stop to review anything but continues putting more and more ugly things onto the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by victor9098 View Post
    The message indicator itself is a very useful idea and helps to clean up the panel, moving your online status there away from the 'memenu' last cycle was also a useful step. No you are never going to satisfy everyone but there are options available for tweaking the general appearance. As for the pip, over the last few weeks I have grown accustomed to a quick glance up to see my status, especially as the Skype icon lives beside it. Now without the pip I am back to clicking to check.

Beans

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...o/+bug/1056488
    In a nutshell -
    the previous (2 releases back) showed some issues in some cases according to MPT.
    So a new set were released (1 release back ), they lasted a day or so.
    Then MS requested that for now to return to the precise icons - current ubuntu-mono

If you want them back then you could either downgrade ubuntu-mono to which ever you liked (1 or 2 releases back.
    Or download the .deb, extract, then replace just the 'status' icons, probably just the 22 folder for use in the unity panel - see screen, moved current 22 folder to bak, replaced with the one from 1 release back.
    Taken from extracted .deb as in screen 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for that mc4man! If they do not return for the final release then the .deb could be an option.
    Blog / Twitter / G+