Thread: Lenovo Thinkpad T430s Support

Lenovo Thinkpad T430s Support

I'm thinking of purchasing the Lenovo Thinkpad T430s to use with Ubuntu, and I'm curious about how the driver support is for it. I'm specifically interested in the following components:

Graphics Card: I'm deciding between the Intel HD4000 and the NVS4200M. Does the T430s support hybrid graphics (where is switches between integrated and discrete graphics)?

Wireless Card: Any driver issues?

Any other thoughts about the laptop? I currently have the T60, and I am looking to upgrade to a newer machine. I don't play games, so I just need a graphics card that can display my desktop, and easily support additional monitors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad T430s Support

Hi,

look here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Di...0s/td-p/883513

I would advise to buy a model with HD4000 only.

Beans

Hello,

I'm the author of the post on the Lenovo-forums.

Thought I'd clarify that I've only tested Linux on the t430s I bought, and it didn't have a discrete graphics card (only the Intel 4000). From what I hear, Bumblebee works pretty okay these days, so it is kind of likely that even the discrete graphics version of the t430s works reasonably well with linux. But I don't have first hand experience.

Getting the version with only the integrated intel graphics is probably a safer bet though.

Beans

@andersmusikka: I read your thread on the Lenovo forums and replied there a few hours ago, too. I just installed Mint on my Lenovo T430s; everything seems to work fine, except the audio drivers :-/

If I use Skype, webcam works fine, audio output, too. But the input seems to be not working... In the sound preferences, there is no input device listed. Can anybody help?

Thanks,

PS:
    I am a first time Linux user, please be patient with me