Thread: cron job to chmod very large directory

Beans

cron job to chmod very large directory

I have a problem, I need a cronjob to chmod a very large directory (with about 20,000 directories which sums up to about 20GB).

I'd would be nice to set the permissions for all files in the directories in real-time, but currently this is not possible.

I'm setting a cron job as:

Code:
    # chmod all directories
    ionice -c3 nice -n19 find /home/user/directory/ -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 0777

# chmod all files
    ionice -c3 nice -n19 find /home/user/directory/ -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 0777
    However this still consumed very large amounts of resources even with ionice and nice.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Beans

Re: cron job to chmod very large directory

The "solution" you are proposing here for whatever problem you are trying to fix smells bad.

However, without going into that, at least read the chmod man page and note the "-R" option. You don't need those two find commands.

While you are at it, read about "umask" in bash or whatever shell you are using to maybe better fix this problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: cron job to chmod very large directory

Can you say a little more about why you are trying to do this or what you are trying to do? The find solution does seem a little inelegant and there's probably a better way if we had more info.