Thread: xorg.conf help needed on Lubuntu 12.10 G4 nVidia

Threaded View

Beans

xorg.conf help needed on Lubuntu 12.10 G4 nVidia

So I have a PowerBook G4 12" 1.5" GHz I'm trying to get to work with Lubuntu 12.10. Here's info on the card:
    Code:
    $ lspci | grep VGA
    0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV34M [GeForce FX Go5200] (rev a1)
    Whether or not I use a live cd or a whole install, X doesn't start and I get "no devices detected" from /var/log/Xorg.0.log (more here) unless I turn off Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) à la nomodeset/nouveau.modeset=0 boot parameters which get me this really funky display (see here).

So I'm trying to step back and RTFM manual for once. I'm going through the PowerPCFAQ and there's instructions to create an xorg.conf. I did the auto-configure, added a modeline, removed unnecessary bits, and got rid of the other outputs (found in /sys/class/drm) to reduce the likelihood of problems with phantom outputs.

The end result is I get a reasonable looking display. There's only one caveat: all of the windows are blank. The colors are right, but they're blank (see here for a pic). I'm sure there's an easy fix to this but the FAQ doesn't necessarily steer me in the right direction and I had to go to bed before I could get through the xorg.conf man page So I'm hoping someone has an easy answer.

For reference, nouveau's output on dmesg, Xorg.0.log, and xorg.conf are all included here.

Thanks in advance!

wxl
    Last edited by wxl; October 3rd, 2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: last pic link messed up, some little errors