Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Easy Peasy on Asus 900

Beans

Easy Peasy on Asus 900

Hi,
    I have an Asus 900 with easy peasy installed. Suddenly, the minimum, maximum and close buttons, including the home logo have disappeared. I have however got the 'File, Edit etc.etc.' tool bar, but cannot minimise, close or shutdown the pc. Please help.
    Memory 1Gb Extended/expanded second drive has 16GB.
    I cannot download all the new updates as it says "not enough memory". Have tried to use sudo delete, but asks me for my password which I have never, repeat put in. I hope this info is sufficient
    Thanks for all the support.

Beans

Re: Easy Peasy on Asus 900

Welcome to the forums!

Running out of space on your hard drive/SSD can cause all sorts of problems.

Your first problem is your password. Here are easy instructions to reset a forgotten password:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

While you are in Recovery Mode (explained in the link above), here is a harmless command that will hopefully free up a little bit of space, if you haven't run it in a while:

Code:
    apt-get clean
    Hopefully that will allow you to at least boot the system to a working desktop so you can start going through your /home folder and clearing out some of the documents, photos, files you don't need any more (be sure to empty the trash to actually free the space).

Beans

Also: Easy Peasy is based on Ubuntu, but it is not the same as Ubuntu. There may be subtle differences I am not aware of. They have their own site where you can get help here: https://getsatisfaction.com/easypeasy (but the site doesn't seem very active)

Beans

Will try again, but have tried the apt-get clean and that was when it kept asking me for passwords. Will get back on forum and inform of the out-come.
    Thanks

Beans

Thanks snowpine,
    Checked all the websites and also did google search, but didn't get anywhere. Will try your solution and see what happens.

Beans

Hi again,
    I have tried as suggested. Gone into 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-21-generic (recovery mode), but still no joy.I pressed enter, and the screen writes until it gets to..... [ 2.886205] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x37. Then below it is the cursor, but cannot type anything.
    One more piece of info; on my recovery mode, it says GNU GRUB version 1.98-1ubuntu5. If that helps.
    Thank you

Beans

Here's another suggestion: If you make an Ubuntu Live USB (described here or here) then you can boot from the USB in Live mode (try without installing), navigate to your Asus hard drive, rescue any files you need to back up (copy them to a thumb drive or external hard drive), and then try deleting some files to create some free space on the drive. Be sure to use Shift+Del to delete the files, rather than moving them to the trash. If you get permission denied then you can run the file manager as root with Alt+F2, type 'gksu nautilus' (without the quotes and be VERY CAREFUL if running file manager as root).

Again I am not an Easy Peasy user so I don't have much experience to help you.

Beans

Okay, looked up my 3.8GB (first hard drive), checked the tmp file. 8 files there; 1) orbit-root 2) orbit-ubantu 3) keyring-93kcXX 4)libgksu-EzoPjv 5)pulse-ieblkqOTH2qn 6)pulse-PKdhtXMmr18n 7) ssh-qbfjsQ1977 and lastly 8] webvaf. Also looked up the properties on the 3.8 GB file and out of 3.8GB, free space is 197.3MB. However, I have no information stored in any file anywhere and can delete anything and everything to free up space. I do not keep any info on the pc. Please advise. Thank you.
    Last edited by zyzzyx01; October 4th, 2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: smiley on number 8

Beans

Recommended minimum hard drive space is 5gb. Not sure if Easy Peasy has lower requirement, check their documentation?

Now that the drive has 197.3mb free space, are you able to boot and log in and use the system? Or are you still having problems with the interface/icons? I don't think I'll be able to help you with Easy-Peasy-specific stuff.

If you have no info stored on the EEE then maybe you'll consider replacing Easy Peasy with a more actively-supported lightweight distro like Lubuntu or Xubuntu (supported here) or CrunchBang, SliTaz, or Antix (separate distros with their own support forums). Easy Peasy doesn't seem that actively supported any more from what I can see.

With only 3.8gb storage you are going to have to be very selective with what you install and update I'm afraid. Hard drives are very cheap and large these days (most people have a terabyte or more) so most Linux distros (I named a few exceptions above) don't make the extra effort to conserve every last megabyte. Your EEE also has a 16gb secondary drive, but from what I've read, this drive is much slower than the 4gb and therefore not recommended to install the OS to. Some users put the / (root) partition on the 4gb and the /home partition on the 16gb. My EEE is a little different than yours (with a 160gb conventional spinning HDD) so I can't vouch for this technique personally. Alternately you could install to an 8 or 16gb SD card but again there will be a performance hit.
    Last edited by snowpine; October 4th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.

Beans

2) things; Firstly tried the first instance to delete all files in tmp .....Shift+Del but only 3 files there and they were locked. So went into root as suggested and found files mentioned in last post. Under File System, there are 23 files, namely: bin, boot, cdrom, dev, etc, home, isodevice, lib, media, mnt, opt, proc, rofs, root, sbin, selinux, srv, sys, tmp, usr, var, initrd.img, and vmlinuz.
    3 files are locked; cdrom (which my asus does not have), rofs, and vmlinuz.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast