Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dropped My Phone in Toilet Last Night

Beans

Re: Dropped My Phone in Toilet Last Night

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    well after the alcohol and rice for a little bit it's showing more signs of life.
    You are suppose to leave it for 24-48hrs, not a few minutes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Strip, dunk in isopropyl alcohol and leave to dry for a day or so.

First thing you should always do is remove the battery and not try to power it up.
    Or power down, just rip out the battery!
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by robert shearer View Post
    @mamamia88

And a cord to tie it on with...?
    Many years ago in the Army, we sometimes tied 550 cord (parachute cord) to everything that might fall or get knocked off in the dark. The one tied to the eye glasses was cleverly called a "booger cord".
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Seriously, you dropped the phone into the toilet and you think it's OK to give it a quick clean and dry and then hold it next to your mouth and ear to talk to people afterwards.
    Personally I would learn to live without a cell phone rather than make that choice. I don't think I am particularly phobic about dirt but that is really sad
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

My dog drinks out of the toilet and he's just fine.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

My dog eats and drinks a lot of disgusting things. Doesn't mean I should follow her example.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    rather not. hoping the rice does the trick. if it doesn't anyone have any suggestions for $100 or less unlocked gsm phones was considering moving to blackberry or something. all i really need is facebook/twitter/gmail/browser. or any carrier that can match straight talks bargain price? really don't want to go with a 2 year contract at $80 a month when i can continue paying $45. then again that galaxy s3 for $100 on contract with sprint sounds damn tempting. just not sure i want to pay $80 a month
    Look and see if you can get a "Net 10" Phone, no contract and it has roll over minutes, or you can also get an unlimited talk/text/web Pre-paid card.

I have seen some Net 10 phones by "Android" with an ok sized screen.
    Rob
    Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage, Sync files between your comuters Back-up & Share files. Sign Up!

Beans

Similar thing happened to mine...at Disneyland on a school trip haha! I swear, Splash Mountain was destined to kill my phone that day, sending splashes aimed directly at my right pocket the entire ride :/ It worked right at the end of the ride, so I thought it was fine. ABout 20 minutes later though, it wouldn't work...crap. I Took out the battery, kept it open, and just walked around for about an hour with the sun shining on it. I kept trying it every once in a while, but it would keep resetting itself every few seconds when I tried. Then finally, it started working again SO for me, the sun was good enough to fix it, and prevent kinda ruining an otherwise great trip. 17 hours on a bus without my phone?? That woulda been bad
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    My dog drinks out of the toilet and he's just fine.
    My dog pees in the water as she's drinking from it. Disgusting but rather efficient if you think about it. Anyway, I regularly put my tracfone's through the laundry machine. Conveniently, it's just as easy to buy a new tracfone as to buy new minutes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

One could also argue that the UV rays in sunlight will possibly kill any germs on the phone. But i have heard of good results doing the rice-trick.

If it was your toilet you dropped it into, wouldn't you likely be immune to any germs on/in it? If it was a public toilet, i'd make sure it was definitely dead, and as KiwiNZ suggests, claim on insurance. Most policies have an extension for personal effects that would normally reside on your person (like watches, spectacles, phones, rings etc).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast