Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems starting Pidgin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Problems starting Pidgin

Quote Originally Posted by illegal View Post
    Since I am already running Pidgin now, it says:

I used to call Pidgin this way too (tried it when I started noticing this problem), but the result used to be the same.
    You can start by killing pidgin
    Code:
    killall pidgin
    then
    Code:
    pidgin
    See if that allows you to start the program correctly.

Beans
    Distro

Quick question for you....are you using Yahoo or MSN for your account log in? I've seen where some people where having issues with Yahoo but had no problems when entering in their MSN info....just thinking out loud....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daslinkard View Post
    Quick question for you....are you using Yahoo or MSN for your account log in? I've seen where some people where having issues with Yahoo but had no problems when entering in their MSN info....just thinking out loud....
    I just use my Google Talk account on Pidgin and rarely Yahoo account. Never used any other accounts.

Btw, will post the result of killall and restarting commands after a restart (since I see the problem only after a restart and right now it is working fine as I've already excecuted a kill -9 <proc id> command to kill Pidgin and then have restarted it). Will update the thread after I do so. Would take some time as I am in the middle of doing some official work... Thanks a lot man!
    Last edited by illegal; October 7th, 2012 at 09:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I just use my Google Talk account on Pidgin and rarely Yahoo account. Never used any other accounts.

Btw, will post the result of killall and restarting commands after a restart (since I see the problem only after a restart and right now it is working fine as I've already excecuted a kill -9 <proc id> command to kill Pidgin and then have restarted it). Will update the thread after I do so. Would take some time as I am in the middle of doing some official work... Thanks a lot man!
    No worries at all...I look forward to reading your update.

Beans

No worries at all...I look forward to reading your update.
    Update: killall pidgin and pidgin commands made Pidgin to work like a charm soon after a restart.

Hmm... But isn't this the same as the one which I was using before? kill -9 <procid> and pidgin? You mean to say that every time I've to execute these two commands to run pidgin?
    Last edited by illegal; October 8th, 2012 at 05:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Update: killall pidgin and pidgin commands made Pidgin to work like a charm soon after a restart.

Hmm... But isn't this the same as the one which I was using before? kill -9 <procid> and pidgin? You mean to say that every time I've to execute these two commands to run pidgin?
    I don't believe you should have to use both commands to properly run pidgin. However if you go to start it and you have that issue of not being able to call it up then you now have the commands to kill the process and restart it.

After doing the killall command and opening the pidgin from the terminal, did it require you to restart the PC before the program would work or does it work properly without the restart?

Beans

^^ I was using the kill and start command even before (I've mentioned it too)

No, after the killall and start Pidgin command, a restart is not required. The thing is, the problem is visible only after a restart - ie., if I do a fresh restart, Pidgin doesn't open unless and until I kill it manually and restart the app . Once I am done with my session and shutdown the machine, the same thing happens in the next restart. I need to kill it once again and restart the app. I guess there is no permanent solution for this

Beans
    Distro

I will keep searching to see if I can find a solution for you...

Beans

Smile Re: Problems starting Pidgin

I will keep searching to see if I can find a solution for you...
    No worries man! And thanks for your help all the way! Meanwhile I'm also searching for a solution. Will update on this thread if I come across anything useful

Beans

Hey daslinkard, I've actually managed to get rid of this issue. The problem got vanished after I installed GNOME and everything is working fine. The Pidgin issue which we discussed above is no more bugging me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12