Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Samsung series 5 laptop problem linux mint

Beans

Samsung series 5 laptop problem linux mint

I posted this on the linux mint boards aswell but there seems to be more users here for a faster awnser.

Good day,

So yesterday I got my new Samsung NP530U3C-A01SE laptop. I installed linux mint on it instantly via usb on the SSD hybrid part. Now I want to install windows on the non hybrid part. The problem is now I cant enter bios which is the f2 button because gnu grub loads to fast and the f2 push is not counted, even tried with an usb keyboard. Now my boot priority when I installed was usb so it should still be. But now it just ignores the usbs and they are powered off until Linux mint has booted.. tried all slots with different usbs.

So I decided to remove the hard dive, well it still boots the OS? So I thought maybe its an secondary hard drive for the samsung fast boot feature, or its loaded onto some ram that is powered by the battery. Since the bios "press f2" screen blasts even faster by with the hdd removed I decided to remove the battery. But I dont want to open it since I don't know if I will break it. Removed all the screws and it seems to be stuck. It appears there was a little button for a pin where you could disconnect the battery from the ram or whatever it does. Did this and the computer wont boot unless you plug the charger in, so I decided now it must have cleared the fast boot thing. But no the computer still boots into linux mint without a hard dive and being without power.

Anyhow I am pretty sure its some kind of temporary drive inside that has the os on it, since I wanted to check the disk size in linux mint and its about 4gb ( some files cant be read). However I wanted to go into windows to erase the drive, so I plugged it in and tried to erase everything on the ssd but no, not possible -_-.

Summary:
    Want to install windows on hybrid drive.
    Cant enter bios due to fastboot feature, shows gnu-grub screen.
    Wont boot from usb due to fastboot feature.
    Still boots into linux mint with hdd removed and battery disconnected(via pinhole).

So does anyone know what I can do, or has any knowledge about the fastboot, or what I can do? Right now I am trying to drain the battery dead.

//file
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; October 3rd, 2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: added prefix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Samsung series 5 laptop problem linux mint

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

Beans

There must be a way to bypass the fast boot to get into the BIOS. Check the manual I would say or try pressing f2 as you press the power button or maybe you have to hold the power button depressed or something like that.

The ssd portion is on the motherboard, either as a plugin module or soldered onto the board but I suspect it's a pluggable module.

Did you format the hard drive with the existing windows OS on it?

Edit: I just read that the fast boot feature must be disbaled from within windows via the samsung software.
    Last edited by mips; October 4th, 2012 at 11:00 AM.

Beans

Try pressing ESC as soon as you've hit the power button and if you get the samsung screen press f2.

If the above does not work you can erase the iSSD but this involves opening the laptop and unclipping the main battery (not cmos battery) from the motherboard. 1 or 2 minutes should be plenty to erase it.

The above info was passed on to me from a tech at the local samsung service center.

Good luck.

In future install windows on the HDD first and then afterwards install linux on the iSSD. The iSSD gets used as a cache drive so you can wipe/format it and install linux.
    Last edited by mips; October 5th, 2012 at 07:49 AM.

Beans

Ok thanks a lot for the awnsers, really! I shall try it out tomorrow

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Filee View Post
    Ok thanks a lot for the awnsers, really! I shall try it out tomorrow
    Let us know how it goes

Beans

Did you come right?

Beans

Actually did not try it yet due to not finding the time, I will do it later this week and report in. The only issue right now is how I take the computer apart, since it seems there are some latches holding it down even if I remove all the screws. I don't want to break any plastic either so I am trying to find the correct way of doing it. If I cant find a way of doing it I will most likely send it in for repair.

Another alternative I want to try is to reset the cmos but that would also require me knowing how it is built and how to take it apart. Anyhow I will report my progress!

Beans

You need to try and find a service manual for the laptop or a teardown video.

I doubt resetting the cmos would help but it's worth a try.

Beans

Did not find a manual, but somehow I got it open. There were a lot of latches. Anyway, this is the inside of the computer. I think I know which one is the cmos battery. Dont know which one is the issd. There seem to be 3 cables from the motherboard to the battery.

Here is an imgur gallery of how it looks inside. Do you know what the issd could be?

http://imgur.com/a/jdvvj

EDIT: The issd is cleared, now it just boots the samsung screen over and over, but the same problem as earlier. The boot blasts by so fast that there is no time to press f2 to get into bios. I had the cmos battery out for 2 min, did not reset the bios.
    Last edited by Filee; October 9th, 2012 at 01:47 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast