Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to forums home page layout.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Changes to forums home page layout.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
    Well at least you will get rid of that beginner area, which adds yet another confusing place...
    Seems, it is there at the top, with the new heading of:

Absolute Beginners Section

Myself, I remember starting out with Ubuntu/Linux and computers in general, and being grateful for the section, as it felt safe for a N0Ob to use, and it probably told the Gurus, that some hand-holding might be necessary! I hope it remains a feature of the forums.
    Last edited by CharlesA; October 5th, 2012 at 04:13 AM. Reason: fixed broken quote tag

Beans

I don't see much that should cause any major problems. Looks almost like the one there now. Should work just fine. Be good for those of us who are wearing glasses and need to enlarge the small print for better viewing.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

It seems to be better organized. Good job!
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

Thanks for the heads up. ^_^

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hmm.................I don't seem to see a Conky sub-forum. Oh well, at least ya'll are aware it now. It has two huge threads in two separate sections. It would be nice if Conky had it's own sub-forum where both threads can be found with easy by new members.
    Plus: It would allow new members to become aware of it (I only found out about it from another site), especially if it had a short description in the title bar. Then, maybe it would grow and have quit a few threads on different types and styles of Conky.
    It would also bring in new members who got their Conky from another site, but couldn't find the support from that site to go along with it.

I do like all the other ideas though.
    Just trying to be helpful.
    Last edited by AndyOpie150; October 4th, 2012 at 12:19 AM.

Beans

thank you team for the heads up...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by AndyOpie150 View Post
    It would be nice if Conky had it's own sub-forum
    It's probably too late to turn this thread into a lot of suggestions, but...

Perhaps a forum called ‘optimization’, or something similar, could sit alongside the support forums for people who have Ubuntu stable and working, and are now ‘pimping’ it with things like Conky.

A thread about Blender would be very useful to me, with a sticky sending people to a list of dedicated forums for more specialized help.

The number of forums would explode of course, as Ubuntu is very versatile and can be optimized for so many different tasks.
    My site - for my role-playing games, spaceships and stuff like that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

An update. We're in the process of making a few moves early, but won't do the main re-arrangement until Monday.

And just to add to what I said in the OP, this is just a tidy-up of what is already on the home page. Consider it phase 1. We are also considering whether new sub-forums need to be added or current ones re-defined. For example, we are looking at hardware support, and whether there need to be other sub-forums apart from "Hardware and Laptops", which will be renamed to just "Hardware" for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceshipguy View Post
    It's probably too late to turn this thread into a lot of suggestions, but...
    Suggestions are always welcome, but....

Quote Originally Posted by spaceshipguy View Post
    The number of forums would explode of course
    This is the problem. We need to balance catering for the needs of all Ubuntu users against having an impenetrable labyrinth of highly-focussed sub-forums. Will there be a conky sub-forum? I very much doubt it.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Me 2, I was concerned this might be a big overhaul. I am relieved to see these are only needed changes and like the new categorization. Thanks.

from nowhere, and yes it hurts
    GIGABYTE z390 AORUS PRO, Intel i7-8700K (6 cores @ 3.7Ghz)
    32GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
    So, the user will come and wonder: general support or specialized support? Ah, but the user has a laptop, hardware and laptops? But its an Asus laptop; specialized? Ah but using another (non unity) desktop, desktop environments? It's a good idea to rearrange the layout, but the proposal remains a bit confusing.
    I dunno, I think it's pretty self-explanatory and logical if one simply looks at the subcategories.

Well done Ubuntu Forum team!
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast