Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10, "failed to idle channel 1" error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10, "failed to idle channel 1" error

"failed to idle channel 1" is a Nouveau-specific string, as you can see via Google.

compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: opengl
    compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: opengl
    Compiz (opengl) - Fatal: glXQueryExtensionsString is NULL for screen 0
    compiz (core) - Error: Plugin initScreen failed: opengl
    compiz (core) - Error: Failed to start plugin: opengl
    compiz (core) - Info: Unloading plugin: opengl
    Therefore no composite/OpenGL support - No Unity, as expected.

IMO the best option is to download and install Nvidia using the proprietary/binary installer from Nvidia website. Luckily it will blacklist nouveau for you. It it doesn't, you have to do it manually in /etc/modprobe.d/

This should get you going: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=19

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Do you get a Grub Menu? If not then note this comment

From this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

When you get to the Grub menu can select recovery mode. And then Resume. I sometimes find that way will get me to a login screen and maybe a desktop. If you get to a desktop and a terminal you can try these commands

Code:
    sudo apt-get install dconf-tools
    Code:
    dconf reset -f /org/compiz
    Code:
    setsid unity
    That should give you the desktop you are looking for. I have been assured that those commands will reset Compiz and re-start Unity in 12.10

You need a proprietary video driver. In 12.10 we do not have the Additional Drivers utility anymore. So, go to System Settings>Software Sources and at the Ubuntu Software tab tick the box marked 'Proprietary drivers for devices (restricted).' You may then need to open the Additional Drivers tab and select a driver to use. It should download and install.

I get the Failed to idle channel message on a 12.10 install where I use the Nouveau open source driver. It stops me getting to a log in screen. Are you set to automatically log in? But if I can get to a log in screen by using nomodeset I can usually get to a destop. Nouveau works fine after that on my hardware but perhaps not on yours.

I also want to add that I was able use 11.10 from beta 2 and 12.04 from Alpha 1 but with 12.10 from Alpha 2 through and beyond beta 2 there have been issues with video and getting to a login screen and a desktop. I am not sure that they are resolved even now.

Regards.
    I have to use SHIFT to get into Grub, but yes, it does appear. Unfortunately I'm at work right now so I'll try to bring up Unity with the codes given when I get home. I am not set to automatically log in. "nomodeset" does get my to login just not with Unity, and without Unity I cant get to any of the menus needed to try and fix the problem. Hopefully, with those codes, I can get unity to load.

The one question I do have is that if I do the System Settings>Software Sources process to download the drivers, will it fix the boot problem? I've been manually entering Grub and then editing in "nomodeset" every boot because using "sudo update-grub" does not save the changes (adding nomodeset) to Grub. The only thing I can think of is that I'm not using the "sudo update-grub" code correctly. Hitting Shift at the right time during startup is somewhat of a pain since the time between the motherboard boot screen and the nouveau error is tenths of a second.

All I want to be able to do is have Ubuntu load correctly from power-on

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    "failed to idle channel 1" is a Nouveau-specific string, as you can see via Google.

Therefore no composite/OpenGL support - No Unity, as expected.

IMO the best option is to download and install Nvidia using the proprietary/binary installer from Nvidia website. Luckily it will blacklist nouveau for you. It it doesn't, you have to do it manually in /etc/modprobe.d/

This should get you going: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=19

Regards,
    Effenberg
    Will updating the drivers through the Ubuntu Software Sources process listed in the above quoted post do the same as this? I'm very, very inexperienced when it comes to drivers and the like so I honestly have no clue if one thing is related to another or not. It just seemed like what was said in the other qutoed post essentially the same as what you were suggesting.

Either way, thank you both of you. Hopefully it'll work when I get home.
    Last edited by HolyMythos; October 4th, 2012 at 12:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro

It is my understanding that the video driver will kick in early in the boot process. So, that by the time you get to the log in screen you should be using the video driver.

Once you install/activate the proprietary driver things should be fine. You can activate the driver either way. By using Software Sources or the command-line which may be necessary if you cannot get to the desktop.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Code:
    ( 100.396145) (drm) nouveau 0000:01:00.0 Failed to idle channel 1.
    ( 112.393231) (drm) nouveau 0000:01:00.0 PFIFO - playlist update failed
    into a terminal (ctrl+t):

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libdrm-nouveau1a
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall libdrm-nouveau2

Beans

When trying to reinstall and start unity when using the terminal codes given in post 9 I get the same message that I posted in Post 8; http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...40&postcount=8

Unity tries to start but then crashes. This means I cannot go into the Software Sources menu to download the drivers. Someone said that I could use the command line to get the drivers, what would be the code that I would use to get said drivers?

Beans

Fixed the problem!

So when trying to download the drivers from the GPU from the nVidia website, I went to a white-screen where it then crashed (the driver update). After it crashed it opened up the Software Center (thank god) and I could navigate to the Software Sources tab. I switched to a proprietary driver. After the reboot everything worked as normal (I get a ten second freeze with screen tearing on login but it goes away after that).

So, I had to;

*Hold SHIFT after the motherboard screen on startup to get GRUB to appear
    *Edit the Ubuntu line to add "nomodeset" without quotes before "Quiet splash" on one of the lines
    *Startup Ubuntu
    *Somehow get to the Software Center to get to the Software Sources tab
    *Switch to a proprietary driver

Fixed. Thank god.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12