Thread: Upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10, "failed to idle channel 1" error

Hybrid View

Beans

Upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10, "failed to idle channel 1" error

So stupid me decided to update from 12.04 to 12.10 Beta-2 because I figured that my luck had changed when dealing with OS upgrades (I've had a data-ruining problem with every OS upgrade since Windows 95).

I updated to 12.10 Beta-2 through the Update Manager in 12.04. After going through the entire installation and the final "restart the computer" step I was greeted to a lovely error screen. The screen has a bunch of numbers (sorry, I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to retrieve an error report) and the lines "failed to idle channel 1", followed by a couple seconds of a frozen screen, followed by another line with "PFIFO playlist failed" (may not be exact wording but definitely PFIFO playlist).

I've googled (through my phone) to people saying that adding "nomodeset" to the GRUB loader will load the OS. And it did... somewhat. I got my desktop loaded, but with no sidebar or topbar, and only my background and desktop icons. Clicking on anything makes me send an error report, which makes me send an error report for sending the error report because it can't send the original error report. Somehow I got Firefox working and got on here to post the problem.

I know the problem has to do with my graphics card (nVidia GeForce GTX560 Ti) but the "nomodeset" workaround is worthless in helping me fix the problem. I can't access any windows or a terminal and I have no idea how Firefox even started (I think it had something to do with the failed bug reports).

Any help on how to fix this would be wonderful. Even if it were to go back to 12.04. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Ubuntu. I just want my computer to work correctly again x.X

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10, "failed to idle channel 1" error

i know that update-manager is the ubuntu default choice; but hey its so buggy that synaptic is a way better choice.

Using nomodeset on the boot line is also a bad idea, simply remove "splash" and then : sudo update-grub

Even if you are not a techy, its always a good idea to glance at your logs: /home/youruser/.xsession-errors (ctrl+h to unhide it) and into /var/log/ to find usefull warnings/errors.

And your data is safe if your /home is on a separate partition (and you does not reformat it indeed when reinstalling a distro)

Beans

Removing splash instead of adding nomodeset doesn't solve the problem unfortunately. It works for a split second before displaying the same errors again. The only way I can get Ubuntu to boot properly is to delete nomodeset but even then it loads with no top bar or sidebar so I cannot navigate anything. If there was a terminal code to restore the topbar and side bar it would make the computer useable (albeit somewhat annoying) until I figured out how to fix the problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As i understand, this system might have some old settings left behind the dist-upgrade(s) made.

You can rename (or delete) those folders into /home: .local , .gnome2, .config, .gconf (ctrl+h to unhide them)
    Then logout/in, they will be cleanly rebuilt (but without your custom settings as its a reset)

Otherwise when your are logged you can reset the desktop (gnome, unity, GS) via a terminal: unity --reset , gnome --replace , gnome-shell --replace , ...
    Last edited by dino99; October 3rd, 2012 at 05:06 PM.

Beans

In the .local folder from home there's only one folder, Splash, and no other folders (hidden or unhidden). Also, running the code "unit --reset" gives the output "ERROR: the reset option is now deprecated" (which I have no idea what that means). Any other codes you gave "gnome: command not found" and "gnome-shell: command not found".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

are you using ubuntu ? or xubuntu/kubuntu/else ? how have you made the installation ?